Where in the world is Paddington?

Where in the world is Paddington? Did he ever buy the MB auto he was looking for? Is he on his way to college?

Reply to
Hernando Correa

I'm here. I found out the car was sold on the day I was going to have it checked over. But that's ok, I was having second thoughts. It bothered me that it was the only 190 I had looked at or driven, and I kind of wanted to check out some other cars before I made up my mind on a Benz. Thanks for your help, and i'll let you know when I find another potential car, perhaps a 260E/300E is in my future :-)

Reply to
Paddington

Reply to
Hernando Correa

Yesterday a nice looking 260E came up for sale in my area that i'm tempted to go look at , the only downside is that it has 170,000 miles.

Reply to
Paddington

Check out ebay, nothing beats their selection. Don't hurry, pick the best you can afford. My brother had a 1987 5spd 260E with over

210K miles driven mostly on autobahns, still in excellent conditions and good for 120mph up mountain passes, not bad for a gas car with 210k miles :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

Ebay is fine for getting an idea. I DON'T think buying a cat there is a good idea or even sane for that matter.

Personally I like to be able to see it and hear it and drive it.

I paid 2600$ for my 190e (1986) about 15 months ago, and have not regretted it at all. it's a solid little car with mediocre performance (it's wimpy), but it runs well, it's solid feeling on the road, and it's comfortable.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

The basic premise that cp suggests, I do agree with completely. Keep on looking till you find a good one.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

idea or even sane for that matter.

Cat? No, probably not, might asphyxiate during shipping...oh CAR!!

True, but cars are the #1 thing on ebay. Look at the feedback that car sellers get, mostly good. I was selling a VW Westfalia TD imported from Germany, it was the #1 visited vw camper on ebay, almost 6000 visitors, a lot of interest. Didn't end up selling cause needed an import paper into the US. Will have to get the paper and relist. As long as ebay sellers are honest such as myself (he he) and declare everything (reasonable) then I would have no compunction buying a car on ebay. Of course, the seller has to have a good history.

at all. it's a solid little car with mediocre

and it's comfortable.

Must be an automatic. Can't compare to 5spd.

looking till you find a good one.

Better spend an extra $2000 on a better car then spend time and $2000 later to make it a better car.

cp

Reply to
cp

you can afford. My brother had a 1987 5spd 260E with over

good for 120mph up mountain passes, not bad for a gas car

Not bad at all. So, would it be dumb to buy a MB with 170,000 miles (I would only do it if the price was very right) or would it be smarter just to wait for one with lower miles? About half the cars for sale have over

200,000 miles so I have no doubts that it would still have plenty of life left, i'd just be worried that it would be needing a lot of work at that point.
Reply to
Paddington

I'd wait for a better car, with much lower mileage, unless you're only meaning to keep it for a (relatively) short while. 170K is not much but not little either. The way people maintain their cars here I would be wary. We got our 300D 6 years ago and the thing barely moved, it was in great condition but the previous owners knew apparently knew nothing about maintenance. Had a 300SD too, GREAT machine.

If you mean to use it as a daily driver and keep it for a long time then take your time and pay more for something with low kilometers, and in excellent condition. My friend bought at an auction a 1985

300SD in >>PRISTINE
Reply to
cp

take your time and pay more for something with low

or Europe to pick one up for myself, but then that's me :)

I checked out Ebay and there were two 260's and a ton of 300's. Great for an idea, but i'd never buy a car sight unseen. Heard too many horror stories. I'd probably keep the car for another two years or so until I was done with college, and then maybe into my first job if it was reliable. These old Mercedes must be hard to sell, because I went down to a used car lot to look at a 260E with only 120,000 miles last week, in good condition, and they told me they ended up giving it away in a drawing during one of their parties as an incentive to get people to the lot! Summer has only just begun so i'm sure plenty will be coming up for sale. It looks like the

260E is a bit smaller than the 300, but that might be just me? What are the differences exactly, besides the engine? Hmm...Well again, thanks for your help and interest. I appreciate it from all of you.
Reply to
Paddington

You're right, it is you... unless the 300 some sort of SEL and not an E.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yeh, those abound for sure.

I wish I'd entered that drawing! If you're only going to keep for a bit I wouldn't worry too much, just get something that you won't have to put money into.

Why not get a diesel? They'll always be easy to sell. A turbo diesel w123 or w126 will be faster off the line than an auto 260E, at least from my experience. I've tried the 260E with auto and manual, they do not compare, I'd take manual any day.

Nope, they're the same cars. Though after a 126 they feel a bit cramped.

Yeh, no problem

cp

Reply to
cp