where is good place to get driver door latch assy for *93 500sel?

hello, my friend has a 1993 500sel, it's got the doors that have a mechanism that closes them when you pull them close to the car. the driver door latch assy is bad as per the mechanic. mechanic says
they have to special order that part from mercedes in germany.
I've looked at a few places online with no luck.
does anyone know of a place where I can get these things?
the dealer wants over $1k for this part! this part fits in your hand! the car is old, I don't see it as a wise move to pay $1k for this part.
Any help is aprreciated.
Oskar
Sorry, your friend has to pay to play! Part number 1407203535 has a MB list price of $985.00 but it does not have to be ordered from Germany.... unless he does not live in the USA. Since you quoted $1K USD, he is in the US? It is available from any US dealer, just has to come from one of five US parts depots.....