Where is the power steering fluid?

2002 Kompressor C320 C-Class Sportcoupe:
I think (because I hear noise when I turn) that my power steering fluid is low. I can't find where I check the level and/or fill the fluid.
Anybody know where it is? A web site with a picture would be ideal... but if you can explain just as good!
Thanks. B.
Realistically, if you have to ask ...
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:37:05 -0700, "T.G. Lambach"
That's a bit harsh, my friend..... Isn't that what this forum is for? We can't all keep up with the constant changes in auto design. Also the MB Owners Manual does not contain an engine layout diagram these days.
If I was familiar with that engine, I would tell the guy....
David
David J wrote:

Thanks David. I did indeed check my owners manual and there is no mention of power steering fluid. I've combed over the engine and can find nothing. It has to be there... somewere...
It gotta be there in the manual... use index to find it.
Tiger wrote:

Been there done that... No Luck... It only mentions the type to be used must be MB Power Steering Fluid.
Did a search on this group and found nothing that applies to my model... Is it possible that this is not a user servicable fluid?
SpreadTooThin wrote:

OK, here's a picture of the 320 engine
http://mercedes.jbcarpages.com/CClass/2001/Bilder/2001%203.2l%20V6.jpg
Shouldn't it be the black square tank above the pulley with holes?
Regards, ws
--
change to leews to mail

ws wrote:

Not the same engine.. I looked around that site for my engine but the c230 engine they show is an AMG engine.. and that is not what I have.

SpreadTooThin wrote:

Ahhh now I see it... Yes you are right that is where it is.. however on my engine there is a plastic cover that blankets most of the engine... How do I remove that to get to the cap? Also how to I tell the current level. At the moment with the plastic cover in place I can not see any dip stick. (Please now comments about looking at myself in the mirror!)
SpreadTooThin wrote:

Well, do google. It's really your friend. You are one lucky guy.
Here is a site with the *exact* steps:
http://www.installuniversity.com/mb/install_docs/ps_fluid_topoff.htm
Regards, ws
--
change to leews to mail

ws wrote:

Thanks... I managed to get the plastic motor cover off without breaking it...

Very helpful link, ws ...
btw, it also works for a CLK 240 - and maybe I don't need to remove that plastic hose, There's quite a gap there.
How did you prise off the plastic cover, STT?
Mine is lifting clear at the front end. But I don't know whether to pull or push to free it !!
David
David J wrote:

I simply lifted up. There are two clamps that are clipped to mounts on the motor. Just friction. Being plastic I was a little scared to break it but it came free with a bit of force.

Many thanks. I found more advice on removing the plastic cover on the link from ws, but another page...
http://www.installuniversity.com/mb/install_docs/air_filter.htm
This has some useful stuff about changing the airfilters (2)
Finally, do you know what the small red plastic cap is the access to? It is located at rear of the engine near the bulkhead.
David
David J wrote:

No, I'm afraid not, but it's an interesting exercise to guess at it. The auto-trans dipstick perhaps. Since the car I have is 15 years old, I can't say for sure. But IME, MB haven't seemed to change the basic layout for the last 30-odd years.
So, the power steering pump is still where it was, and I presume the Red cap you mention still serves the same function.
I could be wrong, Karl here could tell you, as I think the later trannies had a more complicated level checking method.
Cheers, ws
--
change to leews to mail

ws wrote:

Well after going to MB to get the recommended power steering fluid, which cost about $14.00CND. I topped it up. It seemed to be down a few table spoons! Thats all? Man all that noise for two table spoons... Now without starting a whole thread on the subject, I probably should have bought the wall mart power steering fluid for $4.99... For a few table spoons.. I doubt it would have mattered. Well live and learn.
Funny though the 'dip stick' / cap made it look pretty low on fluid.... could have sworn I would have needed a whole quart/litre.
STT

Mmmm - I've been right through my MB Service booklet, and I can find no references to checking/changing/topping the auto-trans oil. Could this be now integrated into the engine oil system?
This car (2004) has no engine oil dipstick. Everything seems to be checked by the 'engine management system' with warnings displayed on the instrument cluster as required.
David

OK folks - I've resolved the question of the red plastic cap by calling the local MB dealership.
It is, as ws suggested, where the ATF goes when required. If you pull this cap off, you see nothing in the long tube. But I now understand that during servicing MB techs put a dipstick down to check the level. It should last the life of the car, I was told.
Presumably that's why there's no references to ATF in the Owner's Manual.
David
There is no such thing as lifetime fluid. I got a car with supposedly lifetime fluid... boy was it a mess when I drained it out... get it serviced regarless what dealer said...