Where the taxis go 125 mph .......

Page 1 of 4
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/global/2006/01/31/expat12.xml
Carry cash when you head off for Frankfurt
By Robert Prendergast (Filed: 31/01/2006)
Frankfurt-am-main had often been a business destination of mine so when I moved there in 1997 I felt quite confident.
Like many other middle-aged IT executives in the 1990s, I had been 'downsized'. I went back to basics and retrained myself as a programmer in the latest IT technology and, trading on my past experience of airline reservation systems, obtained a contract with Lufthansa.
Initially, Frankfurters seem to fit the German stereotype of 'towels on recliners by the pool' but that belies the many kindnesses that were shown to me, almost from the first day that I was there.
I now have many friends in Frankfurt and feel at home with them, even though they sometimes fall about in laughter at my terrible German. Never say the Germans have no sense of humour.
The taxi drivers are familiar with all the usual destinations and their mispronunciations in many languages. As the taxi eases up to 200kph the driver hums Anatolian folk tunes while the 'Taxi Meister' control system beeps continuously like an old satellite. Meanwhile, you are thankful that Mercedes have a great reputation for safety.
Frankfurt prides itself as an international business and banking centre. English is commonplace but have your euros ready.
One of the first differences you will find is how few restaurants and stores accept credit cards. One colleague told me, the attitude in Germany is: "If you can't afford to pay for something, you shouldn't be buying it".
This still catches me out, such as when we were in a local store and went to the check-out with a collection of electrical appliances, proffering our credit cards. "Sorry, cash or Eurocheque only". I have to admit, though, to a perverse pleasure in leaving the goods at the check-out.
On another occasion I had taken a group of 16 customers to a well- known restaurant and when I gave them my credit card to pay the bill, received a polite "Nein, danke, only cash". Ever tried doing business with people from whom you have had to borrow money?
On my first weekend there after moving I happened upon what is known as a 'fest' - a traditional summer street celebration.
Frankfurt has a lot of streets and in summer, they have a lot of 'fests'. The tradition involves enjoying the local food and beverages -but thankfully beer and bratwurst are also available.
There is some traditional folk music; not Anatolian this time but renditions of Chuck Berry, Status Quo and Dire Straits - yes, even I came to believe that they are all natives of Frankfurt after a beer or two washed down with an apple wine, or Ebbelwoi as it is known locally.
'Ebbelwoi' is the sound you make when you have had a few apple wines and try to say "Another Apfelwein please." It makes the Munich Weissbier seem like a children's drink. There is even a tourist tram service, the Ebbelwoi Express, where apple wine is served onboard and which is popular with Asian visitors. I wonder how it will cope with the soccer fans during the World Cup?
That night I got the tram back home. Unfortunately I had gone out on my bike and the tram didn't go anywhere near my home. Ebbelwoi!
JFK had everyone confused when he said "Ich bin ein Berliner" - a Berliner is a type of doughnut.
If he had said "Ich bin ein Frankfurter" everybody would have understood a) exactly where he was and b) that he had been sampling some of the old Ebbelwoi.
If he had, he would probably have done so in one of the traditional apple wine houses, or Kneipen, in the old Sachsenhausen district of Frankfurt. These are wonderful institutions where you can sit at a table with a lot of people you don't know and get insulted by the waiter. But that's a tradition and it binds you with the locals, whom he probably insults even more.
If you don't like the frankfurters you can try green sauce, (Grune Sauce), another fine old Frankfurt tradition made of fresh herbs and cream. It was Goethe's favourite dish.
Strangely, among Germans, Frankfurt is one of the least popular German cities. Maybe they consider it too international.
It has a population of about 600,000 in a good mix of areas, from suburban to central city living. Accommodation is relatively inexpensive and city centre living is possible for just about anyone.
The excellent, integrated public transport system of modern, clean buses, trams and underground trains means that you needn't own a car and if, like me, you are a cyclist, getting around the city on dedicated cycle routes is easy. At the weekends there are many cycle ways to sample through the forest and by the rivers with places to stop for refreshment, such as the rowing clubs on the outskirts of the city.
Like most things in Germany, quality is a component in everything, from caf food to the rail system. The good thing is, it doesn't always cost more.
The difficult thing is the paperwork and formalities surrounding living in Germany, and almost anywhere else on the continent.
The Germans are proud of all their Amts - government departments, for dealing with everything from residence to traffic and rent organisation. This is a frustration for those coming from English-speaking countries but patience and help from a German local can help ease your way through the minefield.
The need to carry your papers at all times, including the equivalent of an ID card, is also strange for English speakers.
My German wife still tells me off for forgetting these and once, when we were stopped at a police control, she was in dread of what would happen to me. After a brief exchange with me and then in better German with my wife, they said, "He's British isn't he?" She confirmed this and they shook their heads resignedly, saying "Ah, they are all the same."
We have now moved again and live over the border in Luxembourg. But we are often back in Frankfurt, which is possibly my favourite European city.
.
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?view TAILS&grid=&xml=/global/2006/01/31/expat12.xml
[...]

Hi, 200kph in Germany should not be too strange, it is even legal ;-) I remember once in Southern France when the taxi driver was doing 200kph from Nice to Cannes. Don't remember the speed limit but 200 for sure was far more than the officially allowed speed. Anyway, equally felt safe as the car was an MB.

You mean 300kph?
I've seen middle aged women go faster.

That's nothing. In Paris on the Pheripherique highway in the city center and in the tunnels (watch Ronin) where Princess Diana died we drove at over 230kph.

At 200kph, whether you're in a MB or an Abrams tank, if you crash you're dead.
cp
cp wrote:

Agreed, it's very dangerous to drive at a much higher speed than the other traffic. If you're passing with a 100 Kph speed difference and the other guy makes a mistake you're both dead. Not much time to react...
Ximinez

Well, I have no problems with civilized "speeding", it depends on the skill of the drivers and the quality of the highway. Let's just say I definitely do not drive fast in Canada OR in the US, where 160kph+ can get you in jail as four people I know of experienced.
It's just that some people stupidly think that if they're in a safe car then they'll survive a crash at any speed.
cp

When was the last time you heard of somebody in a 126 with their seat belt on (sorry, di) that bought the farm? You don't automatically die at 200 kph in an MB. An F150, yes....

Well, my brother and I do, don't want to fly 30ft through the windshield like a friend did. On the other, had he had his seat belt on he'd have drowned in the ditch his car flipped over into......hmmmmm...

No, my point is that at that speed, if the driver loses control it's almost impossible to regain it and if the car slams into something, it does not matter how tough it is.
As for Princess Diana, she died in a w140 600 and this is what a car looks like slamming into a non-moveable solid at 170kph
http://www.chron.com/cgi-bin/auth/story/content/chronicle/page1/97/08/31/princessdi.html
Gotta admit though, that thing is definitely a tank, to take such a hit and splinter.
cp
cp wrote:

http://www.chron.com/cgi-bin/auth/story/content/chronicle/page1/97/08/31/princessdi.html
I'm glad I bought 8 new tires after I almost had a blowout recently. I regularly do 140 kph and you don't want to lose control at that speed, not even in a Benz.
Ximinez

I wouldn't go cheap on tires either, most people don't realize what a difference there is between a worn and new set of threads.
cp

My point is if you have your sealt belt on (UNLIKE Di) then as the car absorbs energy you have a chance of living at say 200 kph. In an F150 you have zero chance.

Oops, sorry I misunderstood =)
You sent me a link to your site regarding fluids for w108/109/110, can you send it again?
Thanks, cp

OOPS, I meant to write "to take such a hit and NOT splinter".
cp
cp wrote:

Not important, but the car was a S280, not S600.
br, syljua W140 S320 1998

Sorry, bad source.
Did the S280 (never heard of it) come with manual transmission, or just automatic? If with manual as well, what years? I figure a car that size with a ~2.8L engine would be manual...
cp
S280 is/was the entry model. (Or was there ever an S260?)
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

No, no S260. The S280, or 300SE 2.8 at the time, was the entry model introduced in 1992/93. It was the only one with manual as standard. It's engine was a M104 (193HP), same as the S320 (231HP), but with smaller volume.
br, syljua
http://www.classiccarshop.co.uk/Cars/mercedes_s280.htm
S280. Are you saying that it was called 300SE 2.8 before the nomenclature change? Wasn't that in the late eighties soon after the intro of the 190?
What's this?: http://www.cars-directory.net/gallery/mercedes/s280/1987 /
And no S260? What's this? http://www.auto24.ee/webcache_kasutatud/auto_php-id 2099-www_auto24_ee.html
A 2.6 l engine is claimed.
What do you think?
DAS
"yvind Syljusen" < snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com> wrote in message
news:dsafj2$bdt$ snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain...

It's called an S260? Weird, I know there was a W126 260S Euro only car but didn't know it was rebadged as an S260. Huh.
Richard Sexton wrote:

No, it's not: 260SE

No, no 260S, it was 260SE.

It never was.
Juergen

I found "The W126-020 chassis 260SE Sedan with the M103-941 motor was made\ between 1985 and 1991" on my website. Sound right to you?
I guess a 2.6L motor would pretty much have to be injected to be of any use in a car that size.