Where the taxis go 125 mph .......

She? He?

Reading your post made no sense until I scrolled down to read the original. Then I had to scroll back to read the rest. See why top posting works badly in these discussions?

We won't blame that to misquoting.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

gradually of course. Just like gun control here in

I don't know, in the rest of Europe maximum speeds have been a reality for a very long time. I believe Holland started a maximum speed in the seventies or so. Actually, some years back the maximum was put up from

100 to 120 Kph. The Germans have *never* faltered and have always kept their no-limits policy. I don't see many left wing governments in the near future either..

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

very long time. I believe Holland started a maximum

from 100 to 120 Kph. The Germans have *never*

wing governments in the near future either..

Well, it's creeping in. Left wing or not, they'll bring it in slowly. On some of the old two lane highways it makes sense, maybe they'll leave the big ones alone.

cp

Reply to
cp

That's terrible. So inconvenient, having to scroll down a few mm to a trimmed quote. Nothing like the screeds I have to read through to reach a few pearls of wisdom posted in reply, though.

I think it's more a case of suitable trimming, as someone said in the OT bit of the Built like a Merc thread.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

So what's changed since I was there in the early nineties? Now that Poland is in the EU it does not even have a role as a classic border town?

Well, I suppose some of the EUR 75 billion the government still coughs up every year for the eastern bits of the country must have landed on the Oder...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Still, you didn't have to do that with my post, right? One glance is enough to read and understand all.

I said that bottom posting without trimming is as bad a top posting. Nothing beats bottom/inline posting with proper trimming. Ever seen a trimming top poster? You sure don't.

You're welcome...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

That depends on the size of the window/panel.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

PS. I still prefer to read top posts, but as you are a nice guy who trims his posts I don't mind your other ways... :-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

like slamming into a non-moveable solid at 170kph

Not important, but the car was a S280, not S600.

br, syljua W140 S320 1998

Reply to
Øyvind Syljuåsen

like slamming into a non-moveable solid at 170kph

Sorry, bad source.

Did the S280 (never heard of it) come with manual transmission, or just automatic? If with manual as well, what years? I figure a car that size with a ~2.8L engine would be manual...

cp

Reply to
cp

S280 is/was the entry model. (Or was there ever an S260?)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

No, no S260. The S280, or 300SE 2.8 at the time, was the entry model introduced in

1992/93. It was the only one with manual as standard. It's engine was a M104 (193HP), same as the S320 (231HP), but with smaller volume.

br, syljua

Reply to
Øyvind Syljuåsen

S280. Are you saying that it was called 300SE 2.8 before the nomenclature change? Wasn't that in the late eighties soon after the intro of the 190?

What's this?:

And no S260? What's this?
A 2.6 l engine is claimed.

What do you think?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

It's called an S260? Weird, I know there was a W126 260S Euro only car but didn't know it was rebadged as an S260. Huh.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

W140 series still started with the old nomenclature, e.g.

300SE 2.8 which from autumn 1993 on was change to S280 (both had M104 E28 w/2799 ccm 193 PS). Curious was that the diesel here in Europe for a _very_ short time only was labeled 300SD Turbo before it was renamed to S350 Turbodiesel (both OM 603 D35 A3445 ccm 150 PS). When it got a new engine in 06/96 (OM 606 D30 LA 2996 ccm 177 PS) it again was renamed, this time to S300 Turbodiesel.

That is pre-facelift W126 - 280S (possibly; SWB, old bumpers and side padding, aftermarket rim front right, old plastic wheel cover rear right).

No - no S260, never ever.

260SE after the W126 facelift (substituted 280S).

W126 260SE.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

No, it's not: 260SE

No, no 260S, it was 260SE.

It never was.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Here in Germany (population 82 mio) circa 3 mio people are insolvent (have a personal debt which is too high to be able to pay it back ever)

Don't overestimate the financial situation in Europe (even in countries like Germany,France etc.) as many people do drive cars which are too expensive for them; but as for many a car is an extremely important symbol/statement they do spend too much money for cars in relation to their income.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

That's what I think, too.

I don't think so, we already have a _Richtgeschwindigkeit_ (= max. recommended speed) of 130 km/h which one day will become a maximum allowed speed.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Right.

No, until 12/92 the 300SE/SEL also came with a

5-speed manual as standard (at least in Germany).

Yes, bore was identical with 89,9 mm, stroke was 84,0 mm instead of 73,5 mm (2799 vs 3199 ccm).

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Yes, W140 S280 1993 - 1998.

5-speed manual was standard for 300SE 2.8 (later renamed S280) and 300SE/SEL (later renamed S320).

Smaller engine 1992 - 1998, bigger engine 1991 - 12/92.

All above valid for Germany.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .