Where to plug CD changer in E300D?

Hi folks,

Got a quick question for the group. I just got my father a cd changer for his 1997 E300D. He cannot seem to find the wiring harness for it. I'm 600 miles away from him and can't exactly help. Anyone here know where they hide the harness? His car does have the radio that controls the cd changer, but he didn't get one from the factory. Also best place for mounting?

Thanks,

Rochelle

Reply to
R & K

"R & K" wrote

Rochelle,

The harness in our '98 E320, is located behind the vertical liner that is behind the back seat - Working from the trunk, take out the carpet, pry the vertical liner forward a bit (there may be some screws or clips) reach in and you should either feel or see it - it's about in the middle and there should be enough cable on the changer or the harness so the CD can be mounted where it is accessible.

The first time I looked I did not find it either - there is another cable on the driver's side, but that's not it. The one you want has a plug that matches the one on the CD changer - should be a 3196 changer, I think (from memory!)

Good Luck

Reply to
Jack

Thanks Jack, I'll pass this along. Yes it is the 3196 changer. I did some sneaky requests and got the last 6 numbers of the VIN to make sure, since 1997 seems to be when MB switched between the non fiber optic and the fiber optic, but his is an earlier one.

Rochelle

Reply to
R & K

Actually, 1998 was the last year for the non-fibre systems - My car is a '98.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Jack