which model mid/late 90's diesel to go for?

Apologies if this is in a FAQ somewhere but I have yet to have a Mercedes and would like advice on which model to look for to satisfy my wishlist as
far as possible?
I am in the UK and would like a manual, diesel, Estate/touring/wagon, around 3 to 4 litres, with turbo, model that is a generally sound car and easy to work on for most things - my research so far has suggested that later than around late 90's seemed to produce cars more rust prone and with electrical problems, and later than around 1999 would probably be above my budget anyway, although that can be stretched for the right model. I know manuals are lees common than autos in prestigious cars so maybe I will have to go auto but get frightened by repair costs of autos - I gather the 4Matic is to be avoided
I can do most maintenance myself and have standard tools..
What does the group think would be models that would most suit the above and should I be looking at other things to go for or avoid and an upper mileage limit / best years ?
Thanks, Nick
Sounds like you want a 124 wagon.

Yes, and do avoid 4Matic. Unnecessary and fuel-consuming complication.
W124 means the E Class predecessor. I had a W124 saloon (E 230, meaning injection 2.3 l engine). Very nice mo'or.
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:erepmu$7bg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...
I have a collection of old car magazines that I was goig through recently to see if any of them were uninteresting enough to toss out. (Another wife directed activity to make moving and organization easier.) I ran accross a magazine(I think it was automobile magazine with the 'new beetle' on the cover.) It had a review of the new 96 E class, and basically their conclusion was about as close to saying "just buy a used Mercedes before you buy one of these." as you can get without explicitly saying it. They cited build quality, material selection, stability at speed, cruising speed comfort, and many other things. I have also heard that the generation ending in 95 is more reliable than the one starting in 96 from a few people online. Although I'm not always quick to latch onto those opinions from individual owners like the opinions are facts or the owners experts. I haven't bothered asking a person with extensive experience with both since I am happy with my 123. It almost goes without saying but I'll say it anyways... Whichever way you decide, make sure to research what specific problems each generation has and check any potential car for those possible problems.
In wittered on forthwith;

W124 300TD Estate.
*Don't* go for the manual though, Mercedes only finally managed to make a decent manual box a couple of years ago, whereas their auto boxes are some of the best and have been for a long time.
The later W210 model will quite possibly be cheaper than a good W124, but the 96-99 ones rust like nothing you've ever seen before (unless you've owned an Alfasud).
--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Golf GTi,