Which one to buy

Thinking about buying a MB diesel. Have been looking at 83-85 300D but have not found one in good condition. Wanted to know if I should go with a later model instead like a 98/99 E300. I see those for about
17-20k with less than 100k on the clock. Do the newer ones have the same (or as good) quality built in as the 80s models? Are they expensive to maintain (I do not do any maintenance myself)? Any advice welcome. Thanks
tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Tom) wrote in

The 93-95 E300 D are the best of the lot.
The 1991-1993 300Ds have the 2.5T (OM602 I think) engine in it, which is a pretty "bulletproof" and veritable 2nd-generation. They are quick enough but not really fast.
The 1995 E300D (124 chassis) has the first 3rd-gen diesel in it, the OM606. Nonturbo 24v that puts out as much power as the 12v turbo OM603 from the 1987 model lineup. I hear good things about these cars.
1996+ and you're dealing with the W201 chassis, which is more problematic, but the same OM606 series engine.
Have you thought about a middle-ground? The 87 300D may crack a head eventually but it's fast and pretty reliable otherwise... plus they go for good prices.
-Mike