Which SL

Guys and Gals out there,

During a recent conversation with my Wife, the subject of the Mercedes Benz SL Class popped up. She loves them and since the Hart to Hart (Robert Wagenr/Stefaine Powers) (I think the spelling is correct) series of the 1970s they have been my automotive goal. This is no small talk as Karen rarely gets enthusiastic about cars, but it seems that the SL spins her props as well as mine. Nevertheless, I am inexperienced with regards to the SL class and therefore have one question. Which one do we look for? I shall give you some parameters to provide boundaries. We are looking at reliability foremost, metallic green or blue second, up to 8 years old third, performance fourth (but being a bloke V8s would put this 2nd) and lastly looks. Finally, we have a budget of =A317000 or so. If you can provide any suggestions please feel free. We shall reply to each if we can, but rest assured that all suggestions will be gratefully received.

Best regards,

Paul and Karen

Reply to
snowy

Since you want something no older than 8 model years you will be looking at the latest generation of the SL. Your best bet for your budget would be to get the newest model you can buy for the money....and hopefully a StarMark MB warranty will be available for the car. The warranty is well worth the cost as you WILL have some problems and some of them such as the AC evaporator replacement can be very pricey ($2K+ in US dollars). In fact I wouldn't buy a late model MB (or any car for that matter) without a factory backed warranty. If you get a 6 cylinder you will probably get better gas mileage than with a V-8, and parts and maintainance are usually cheaper too. Usually the drive train on these MBs hold up well, the problems come with all the non-essential items they put on new cars nowdays.....such as self-closing doors, GPS systems, high-tech sound systems, etc, etc, etc. And these items are very costly to fix. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Reply to
Rockman59

Rockman59

Thank you very much for the advice.