white smoke, not oil or coolant

now im really confused, my trusty 87 300td diesel wagon smokes profusely in the morning when it first starts. smells like fuel burning-like it's running
too rich. like some gasket in the injection pump is going out maybe ?
Diesels don't run too rich.
If this engine has done 250K miles or more I suspect incomplete combustion due to low compression; have the engine's compression tested. Then you'll know for sure that it needs an overhaul, or not.
My '87 does the same thing. Does it more in cold weather, does it less when using the block heater. I think the valve stem seals are leaking lube oil and the combination diesel and lube oil is producing the white smoke. Or it could be as T.G. suggests-low compression. I haven't checked the compression 'cause I'm not concerned about the smoke on starting since the car has 270K miles and runs just fine otherwise.

in
running

If it runs just fine, then it isn't low compression.

in
running
You should know that if you don't let the glow plugs get pretty hot before cranking, or if the car turns over quite a bit before starting, you are going to have a lot of diesel fuel in the cylinder areas. Your car will smoke after starting for a little bit until this extra fuel is either burned or spit out the exhaust. I have a 240D that starts like a well tuned gas engine but, if I instantly start cranking the engine without waiting for the glow plugs to heat up it will blow blue/white smoke out the exhaust for at least two or three seconds, even though the engine is running smoothly. How long since you've replaced the glow plugs?
Incidentally, mine is an '81 240D with only 120k so that helps explain the quick starts......oh yes, I'm also southern Cal.