Why A Green Cross?

Why are the compartments in Mercedes-Benz automobiles which hold the first aid kit marked with a green cross? A *red* cross is the international symbol of first aid,
so why green? I've never seen a green cross used any- where else.
Geoff
--
"Could someone just provide a list of things that
_don't_ provoke Muslim rage?" -- National Review
On 9 Oct 2006 07:13:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) wrote:

a green cross is used in europe to denote a pharmacy, very superficial treatment is given, and the kits in the cars are for very light treatments
Geoff, Green cross is used by Gobachev's Green Earth foundation, it's used by the ''Medical' Marijuana people and it's pretty common for first aid, mind you, not the serious kind
cheers, guenter

So you're saying the message is "if you're a stoned Russian here are your bandaids".
I put speakers in mine. Fuggit.
Geoff Miller wrote:

colour of the first-aid kit, although the contents of the kit are subject to a DIN. I had a navy blue one with a white cross when I was living there, and thought it odd - hard colour to seek out under poor lighting. I mean, if you were going to standardise something like that, you'd go to the trouble of mandating high-visibility yellow or orange, Shirley?
Under paragraph 35 section h of the traffic act, you are obliged to travel with one, although for the life of me, I cannot imagine what use it would be in a *real* emergency - a few compression bandages, rubber gloves, a survival blanket. I guess it goes back to the days of needing to tend for someone who'd been knocked about, while someone else sought out a (working) payphone.
If they'd thought to include a fold-up shovel, I guess it would come in handy for hitchhikers.
Peter