Why buy diesel when vegetable oil is cheaper

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/23/automobiles/23FRY.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
As he sees it, even paying full price for new vegetable oil is better than buying fossil fuel. "If I don't have enough filtered used oil,
I'll go out and buy new oil for my car," he said. "I can get vegetable oil for $2.45 a gallon, and diesel fuel goes for $3.09 around here - and that's not counting the additional cost of what it does to the environment.
.
I read that article and thought the idea - how shall I say this - quaint.
OK, OK if one hates oil companies it's cool to shun ole diesel #2 for veggie oil BUT,
1. what a mess to deal with on a DIY basis - I didn't read about free dry cleaning for spills onto one's clothing
2. the economics work only if one has access to free fuel stocks - like the interviewed restaurant owner - one can buy a lot of fuel for the conversion kit's cost
3. the car's trunk space is compromised by the additional fuel tank.
All this to avoid diesel #2?
Now, Biodiesel-20 or Biodiesel-100 is something to be bought - at a gas station.

And. . . if the veggie oil remains untaxed. Hands up all those who think any government is going to allow any significant amout of revenue to be lost if people start switching in large numbers. (assuming of course there is enough veggie oil around to be swiched to.)

John Mauel wrote:

Is your diesel taxed in the US? What are you paying? We pay $5.40 per gallon diesel. That's what I call taxing!
Ximinez
Yes, we are taxed... and I just paid $2.79 a gallon! LOL
Everything everywhere always taxed for ever and ever. Amen. It's just a matter of how much.
John M. Anticipating a temporary special levy excise tax any minute on '94 E320s

I pay $0.93 to $1.02 per litre for diesel here depending on where I buy it.
US$3.40/US Gallon in California, same price as Premium Gasoline. Regular Unleaded Gasoline US$3.10/US Gallon
You wrote:

More economic idiocy from the publication that regurgitates Paul Krugman. Why do these cretins believe an economy is static rather than dynamic? If more vehicles use veg-oil, that increases demand for veg-oil, which puts pressure on supply, which raises veg-oil prices, which raises food prices, which has a detrimental effect on the economy by shrinking families' income after paying for the essentials.

??? Not if they switch back to diesel, which will have dropped in price due to slack demand.
And yes, she knew that I knew that she knew, etc.
You wrote:

Yeah, like the entire country's commercial trucking fleet is going to switch to Crisco.
Jeesh, some people are just plankton with fingernails.
Alotta Fagina wrote:

Even though it is not uncommon to refer to people as cretins it may not be a good idea since cretinism is a birth defect and if someone suffering from that defect were to read your comment they could be hurt and offended.
Perhaps greater demand for vegetable oil will help farmers worldwide. and they will just plant more and be able to earn a good living which might be much better than giving it to the oil companies which collectively cleared about 40 billion this quarter ( I think ).
Sorry about the run on sentences. It is monday morning.
.

a motor fuel like gasoline. You go into Safeway and pay a $1 tax on Mazola.
You wrote:

I'm offended by people who are pretentious enough to butt in on behalf of others whom they believe may be offended. How are you going to revise your posting style to avoid offending me? Obviously avoiding offense is a priority of yours.