Why Didn't Anyone Tell Me...

...about using the power steering nut to turn over the engine when doing the valve adjustment? More importantly, why didn't I ask? Sweet wounded Jesus, that sucked. Took off the engine fan and used a 27mm socket on the harmonic balancer nut. Then came time to put the fan back on. Do you think the holes from the pulley line up with the water pump? Hell, no! So I had to loosen the alt belt then align the bolt holes, then put the fan back on. As i was cking the timing belt wear, without thinking, grabbed a 22mm wrench and started turning the engine over with the power steering pump. Good times.

So, if someone searches this group for valve adjustment, hopefully they will read this before doing what I did.

BTW, it was an '84 SD.

Reply to
PT in OR

I told anyone who would listen.