why do mercedes diesel last forever?

Page 4 of 6
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:50:42 -0500, "Saintor"

while high milage cars aren't exclusively diesels, diesels USUALLY have a longer life than gas engines

there are more gas cars to begin, so your chances of there being more gas cars left standing after a few hundred K miles are greater, are you a politician? you are great at trying to manipulate data

wrong, diesels do last longer

not facts, just your twisted interpretations
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.
You are entitled to your opinion, and this is only this, your opinion, but bring here statistical data here to support your claims and we'll continue to talk. In the meantime, most high-mileage cars reported on internet are gas powered and el cheapo ones, want it or not.
In case you are addressing me:
"Diesel sales are rising rapidly, with diesels outselling petrol-engined cars in several European countries already.
In the UK in the upper-middle to top class diesel overtook petrol in September, and that's WITHOUT the price advantage diesel enjoys in other European countries.
The overall advantage of diesel isn't that great with smaller cars/engines anyway, according to that article."
This is from an article published in the Driving section of a recent Sunday Times, UK's leading quality Sunday paper.
DAS --
Dori Schmetterling wrote:

Is the Telegraph considered a quality newspaper? I read their website a lot.
.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:54:03 -0500, "Saintor"

Like the data you've supplied?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.
Interestng point.
In contrast to most/all other western European countries in the UK diesel fuel costs the same as or more than standard (unleaded) petrol. Diesel was deeply unfashionable here for all kinds of reasons.
Yet diesel-fuel car sales are now rising steeply.
So tell me, what is the point?
DAS --
B.S.

Saintor wrote:

Here in Europe a MB diesel taxi is _high mileage_ abeove 1.000.000km, that is more than 620kmi - ok some weenies already call 750.000km (= 466kmi) _high mileage_...
Juergen
B.S.

Saintor wrote:

I consider a 70s diesel MB; broken in at 200k miles, used at 300k and a good deal for $1500 at 400+k miles.
A lot of the diesel MB taxis throughout the world have 500+k miles with only routine maintenance.
I changed the factory tie rods and one ball joint on my 76 300D at over 300K miles, despite the atrocious roads locally.
Again, how many 70s and early eighties MB diesels have badges for over 500k miles compared to gas engines?
I have also had Jags, Triumphs, Austin Healy's, Aston Martin's, Morris', Oldsmobiles, and Fords that wnet to high mileage despite the gas engines, but I spent a lot of time regrinding valves, honing bores, changing lifters, swapping cams, fitting rings and changing ingnition components.
With the MB, I struggle with the vacuum system, routinely change the fuses, carry a spare inline filter, hate the heating/cooling system, but can ignore the potential for engine melt down. In the last 5 years the two worst problems have been a waterpump and one blocked inline fuel filter in 180K miles. OK so the sunroof is manual,the left rear window does not go down and the windscreen washer pedal is kaput, but it starts, runs at 80 mph and passes the smog test while getting 35 mph. My next odo milestone is 500K miles, and it is about 3 months away. JJ
Although the M-B diesels will do very good, it is hardly exclusive to Mercedes diesels engines to have an outstanding durability. http://www.autooninfo.info/AutoonInfo/DurabilityInformationPage5.htm
The records for highest mileage were most for cars with gas engines.
Again my examples earlier; "The best example is the taxi recordmen with its Plymouth Fury 1964 who put 1 600 000 miles before being scraped in an accident. Granted, he passed four gas engines. But the average engine life was... 400 000 miles. '60s technology.
Another published example in 'Washington Post' is the Honda Accord 1994 with 1 080 000 miles. 130 000 miles a year. Original powertrain and exhaust."
Also I forgot to mention that the taxi owner Joseph Vaillancourt changed its engines preventively, not necessarely.
What is your opinion on them? They shouldn't exist?
As per data, I am just not convinced that diesel cars will achieve a longer life than gas engines cars. But of course, doing so much mileage in a short period of time, diesels make sense economically. But 250000 miles in 15-20 yrs doesn't impress me at all. In a world of added complexity as turbochargers, this economical adavantage has even narrowed.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:44:11 -0500, "Saintor"

who just happen to use that page filling out a questionnaire. The page you linked to had the top mileage MB at 12th place with 336,000 miles. If you had looked at the Mercedes roster of their page, you would have found the top Benz listed by one of the page users at 453,900 miles, which would put it in second place.
http://www.emc.mercedes-benz.com/content-n&e.htm The search in the UAE for the Mercedes-Benz with the highest mileage was won by owner Prakash Wagh, who in his 1982 E-class model had clocked up more than one million kilometres (621,000 miles)
I didn't see that on your sources list
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/19981123/press000853.html ROCKLEIGH, N.J., Nov. 23 -- The Guinness Book of Records has officially named a 1966 Volvo P1800 as the vehicle holding the record for the 'Highest Car Mileage.' The car currently has over 1,671,000 miles and is driven every day by its original owner, Irv Gordon of East Patchogue, New York who purchased the car brand new in 1966 from Volvoville in Massapequa, New York.
I didn't see that one on your sources Volvo roster.
http://diesel.list.archives.mbz.org/2002/Jun/Vol_3_Num_1838 / My '83 300D has 354,000 miles on it. However, my wife's 604 SRD, now gentlemen, this is a 1983 Peugeot 604 with a 2.3 L turbodiesel that she purchased new in June of '83 has over 600,000 miles on it.
http://www.swedishbricks.net/faq/1800.html#miles The highest recorded mileage listed in the book (Guiness Book Of World Records) is held by the owner of a Mercedes 180D that reached 1,184,880 miles in 1978. That is more than double the miles of the Toyota listed as #1 on your sources site.

Nobody has said the contrary. Voluntary basis.

But it is a good reference to see averages.

Neither the 1 080 000 miles Honda Accord 1994 with original gas powerplant.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:54:16 -0500, "Saintor"

just live in my neighborhood as volunteers. That page has nothing to do with what car maker or engine design lasts the longest. It is a useless reference for that debate.

Saintor wrote:

You drive _cars_ like Hondas and try to tell people with 20+ years of deep insights into Mercedes and especially MB diesels and car fleets they are wrong - boy, you are an expert!
Juergen
You guys old diesel M-B owners seem to live in a bubble, denying the evidence that competition can do it as good or better. If diesel would be soooo good, you can be sure that America would have plenty of them, more of that because average annual mileage of Americans is substantially higher than in Europe. As per your theory, American taxis should be diesel; they aren't. And they last.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:01:22 -0500, "Saintor"

quality of the engine, just because a method is better doesn't guarantee popularity in the marketplace, try looking up beta vs vhs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.
Why is the British Black Cab only available in diesel? Fuel price is irrelevant in the UK (see my slightly earlier post in this thread).
You appear to be overlooking one important issue.
There are few if any modern diesel engines in passenger cars in the US because of the lack of low-sulfur fuel. However, I am sure I read in one of these newsgroups that this situation will change in the US in the next year or two.
Let's talk again then.
By then you might have test-driven a turbocharged 2.5-litre diesel engine and been surprised at the g-forces...
And I was in one your famed American taxis in NYC a few months ago. Very high mileage, yes, but not the first engine either.
DAS --

No I didn't overlook it. I know this 'issue'. Earlier I wrote; "The only way to have more diesel in N.A. is to increase the oil price (make it cleaner too). "
But if you ask me, this 'issue' looks like a lame excuse since there are millions of trucks running on diesel in Aaerica.

No, they rarely change engines. Most NYC cabs are on the road 4 years and do 60-80000 miles a year. This is 300 000 miles.
I asked the cabbie.
DAS --