Why is Battery Bracket corroding Now??

Greetings all,
Last month I changed out the original battery on my 95 S320. The battery compartment in the trunk was clean and no signs of corrosion
anywhere. Today I looked into the battery compartment area and was surprsised to see the battery hold down bracket covered with white powdery corrosion.
Why now? What could have possibly changed? Both are lead acid and the original has been in there since 1995 without any sign of corrosion.
In addition to the curious "why", how could I prevent this?
Thanks to the group for your collective wisdom!!
Bob
Well I do believe your new battery has a leak. You're going to have to clean out the bracket (which is why I prefered when they were in the engine compartment). Gets some thick gloves, some goggles, and don't enhale the stuff. vaccum all the loose powder, then take out the tray and put a lot of baking powder (or is it soda? It's the one you put in the fridge to absorb the smells). Then hose it off. To prevent this in the future put a special battery mat on the tray. These will neutralize a leaky battery. I know www.performanceproducts.com sells them. Richard

Did the original battery have a sealed top with an overflow tube leading 'overboard'? I _think_ mine (2001 E320 wagon, battery under the middle seat) has that setup, though I could be misremembering something else...
Did you replace it with a MB battery from the dealer or from Pep Boys?

You can buy a premium priced sealed unit that will not off gas corrosives.
Marty

Oh I forgot all about that. Those in trunk batteries need to have a tube that vents the gasses to the outside. Richard