Why not bluetec in all diesel engines ?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId 6192
This article states the E has Bluetec and the GL does not.
Why is that since without Bluetec they cannot sell the car in 5 USA
states ?
Does anybody know ?
.
On 21 Jul 2006 08:52:48 -0700,
had to open a new box of zerones to say:

AdBlue system, which is a urea injection process designed to increase mileage while taking emissions even lower... The problem, at the moment, is that the urea is carried in a separate 6 gallon reservoir which can only be topped-up by the dealer... I don't know that their aim is to further engineer the system to an owner servicing or not, but that might be less than appealing to some...
<! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- > zenit
The 45 state V-6 diesel will be available in '07 models; '08 model BlueTec V-6s will be sold in 50 states. The article doesn't make this time line clear, IMHO.
My understanding is that EPA and CARB want assurance that the owners or operators would be faithful to filling up a separate tank with urea solution every time it empties. Without urea solution, the emission worsens considerably. They have not approved the Bluetec diesel motor yet because of that aforementioned reason.
I wonder about the availability of urea solutions in the desolated areas of America West where one can drive for miles and miles without seeing much of civilisations. (Golly, how I miss those road trips through that region!)
I can think of feature that cut the terminal speed to the embarrassingly 20mph should the urea solution tank is empty. If not, no functioning radio, no functioning air-conditioning, no functioning power windows, ad infinitum until the lazy drivers wise up. Yet, I know owners aren't really slack about their Mercedes-Benz.
I would feel that Mercedes-Benz ought give away urea solution, even the bottles at the owners' home the first year, until the network of filling stations add the dispensers.
greek_philosophizer wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:00:26 +0200,
had to open a new box of zerones to say:

The tank holds 6.8 gallons and uses 0.6 gallons per 1000 miles... If my math is right, that comes out to about 4000 miles before the tank needs filling again... My question is, why don't they increase the capacity of the tank to match the regular maintenance schedule...

<! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- > zenit
zenit wrote:
[snip]

Yes, I heard the same. That given figure (or should I say consumption) is theoretical and might not reflect the real world driving experience. It is pretty much the same for oil change (some can go longer or shorter between the oil changes, depending on their driving temperances).

is not sufficient for a service interval where 20 000 miles should not be impossible. I then have to agree with the previous posts.
Mmm... how about a check engine light and limp home mode on when urea is empty or super low?

Maybe the car could email the EPA if you don't refill it and you keep driving ;~)
Crazy modern vehicles. I warning light/annoying chime then limp mode sounds reasonable to me also.
Marty
Martin Joseph wrote:

simple reduction machine heated by the exhaust to concentrate urine for use in the Bluetec diesels?
Nihil wrote:

The ultimate redneck urinal, straight from the drivers seat to the bluetec container...
.
LOL... A new breed of MB owners.

Hey now! Don't forget Mcbrue...