Will a 300E start without the belt

My car all of a sudden wouldn't start for me. So, I looked under the hood to find that the belt was dead loose. The spring in the belt tensioner has broken. Is there anything that would prevent my 1988 300E
from starting due to lack of tension on the belt or am I in for more fun? Thanks for your thoughts.
JB 99 E55 88 300E

What exactly do you mean by it wouldn't start? Does it turn over? If the alternator belt has come off and the car is run enough for the battery to discharge, then that would certainly prevent any car from starting.

No it cranks fine. The battery is strong
Technically, the car should be able to run without the belt... that is why MB put such a large battery in the car... so you can continue to drive after belt or the alternator is shot... for up to 2 hours.
Tiger wrote:

Thanks Tiger

Yes, it will (or should be able to) run. But water pump will not be driven, and engine will consequently soon run hot.
So, the starting problem is to be found somewhere else.
Doh! I didn't think about that... maybe that's why there is a kill switch to prevent the engine from running... I guess only the alternator is allowed to die... but belt requires total shutdown.

Just curious, what kill switch?
I am not sure... I would assume they compare the signal of the crank position sensor with the alternator and air conditioner compressor...

Don't know about the gas burners, but my diesel has a big STOP sticker to show where the kill switch is on the engine, its basically just a fuel cut-off for the diesel engines. Most others have some kind of switch or lever on the engine (under the hood that is) that will let you kill it from the engine compartment.
Well I personaly alllllways wear a belt when driving an MB. That way if it lips off, I can just take my belt off and beat the kar with it until it behaves. Good luck!
mcbrue beltedly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
06 LS430 Kudzu burner

    of course it goes without saying that you'll be watching your temperature gauge depending on the time of year.....
cheers, guenter