will towing damage transmission

I had my car towed for 3 miles after an accident. I put in on neutral and left it running but could I have damaged it.? it is a rear-wheel drive 1988 190e mercedes 2.3.

Karle

1988 190e 2.3 MB 2000 C320 MB
Reply to
Mario Gauthier

Might have, but probably not. Mercedes says towing short distance under 45 mph is OK, but that is NOT foolproof.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Nope. As stated, you can tow the car slowly in neutral with the engine stopped for up to 40 miles (or so). The main reason why this is not PC is that the oil is not pumped around the transmission or torque converter. However If you towed it with the engine running, the oil is pumped around, so in theory, you could tow it as far as you like (though I would still observe the speed regulation. 30mph is very frightening for the person being towed if you are on a rope. OK with a rigid bar or 'A' frame.

Cheers... Rob.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Ditmire) wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith