Window motors

1984 190D (201 chassis)
I frequently see advice to "clean contacts" for windows that don't work, but with no instructions on how to do it.
Can the rocker switches be pulled straight out using pliers? Once out are the contacts visible or does something else have to be taken out? What do they look like? How do you clean them? with solvent? compresed air? a que-tip?
Thanks
John wrote:

wood panel around the gear change. the switches themselves were fixed into the wood panel, so i wouldn't try pulling them out. if i remember correctly, i used somethign alogn the lines of isopropal alcohol, but i doubt it made a significant difference; it seemed that just getting things apart managed to put whatever it was right, though i did also loosen one sticky witch at the same time.... who knows. anyhow, sorry that wasn't more detailed. good luck, and do try not to crack any of your wood trim.
I did NOT take apart then put the switch back successfully. Maybe you have better luck. Many W201 are old enough and they show up frenquently in junkyards. Try switching to another one (even switching the two you have on the car) can prove whether it is bad. If you are near Washington DC area, Potomac German Auto sells old switch $1 a piece. That is where my spares come from :-)
By the way, I have an 84 190D too (around 250k miles)
John wrote:

CONTACT CLEANER from Radio Shack. spray it while rocking the switch up & down <key off> worked for me
the case, minus a few cans!