Windows exploded

I have a '99 E320. Today I lowered all the windows down about half way to cool off the car before getting in. I opened and then shut the back door (with the windows still half-way down) to put something in the back. When I
then started the car, I pressed the switch to raise the windows. When the back window (on the door I had previously opened and closed) reached the top I heard a loud pop (almost like a gunshot) and then found that the window must have broken within the door as it now slid down and could not be raised. Seems quite odd - has this happened to others or could my closing the door with the window half-way opened somehow put the glass out-of-synch with the door guides?
Thanks.
The glass did not break, correct?
The regulator broke.... happens a LOT on the rear doors of a 210 body.

Yes, the regulator has a wire cable for actuation. It probably snapped. Let me know if you want to fix it yourself. I literally just fixed my rear window on my E55 last weekend
Yup - it seems to be the cable. It's under warranty so I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow. But I would like to know how to repair this myself if (when) this happens again.
Joel

Ahhh the dreaded 210 window regulator. Do a Google search. You're not the first one to have this problem. Total parts cost for me was $99 a few months ago.
MC

that is crazy... I hope that don't happen on clk's...

Nothing crazy about a window part breaking on a MB. You did use it, didn't you? And you closed the door with the window open. So just what direction manual did you read to find that was acceptable? I mean like look - these wonderfull machines are cars with soul. They are so beautifull it is just hard to underatand why ANYONE woud want to actualy drive one, especialy with the windows open! Now realy you wouldn't drive your guardian angel around would you? And doesn't he/she/it have a soul also? You certaily would want to be driven around with your mouth open, so why would your car want to be driven around with its windows half open?
mcbrue etc
".... so why would your car want to be driven around with its windows half open?
mcbrue etc "
Because it blew a leak in it's AC Evaporator?!?
Larry In the back yard, under the oak.
In alt.auto.mercedes, on the "Re: Windows exploded" thread, KINGLIFER wrote:

It seems to happen on non-MB cars, as well. The drivers' side rear window regulator failed on my Ford, and one of my co-workers has had the same problem with his Isuzu Trooper. I guess the only way around the problem is to get a Mercedes built before the invention of power windows.
--
Benjamin Robinson snipped-for-privacy@freenet.tlh.fl.us
This message may or may not contain sarcastic content; your burden to decide

The sad thing is that I was using the automatic close feature (press-and-forget) to close all of the windows. Silly me. Guess I'm lucky that I only had one broken regulator and not four....