Windscreens

Hello all. This is my first post here so be gentle please :)

I have had a few problems recently with broken windscreens ( 3 in as many months ). I have just had my latest replacement today. I have been using a well known company to replace the glass, they have used a non Mercedes part , splintex i belive. I have been unhappy as they seem to break easily, so i got Mercedes to put in a genuine MB part. I was wondering what the infomation that is on the glass means? In perticular the ' E? '. On the non MB part it says E6, but on the genuine MB part it says E1. Any ideas?

Thanks Simon

Reply to
Dacman

No idea what the 'E' means,just suggesting you steer clear of the brand SIGLA for windscreens!

Reply to
CaptainW116

E1 (and E?) is some sort of safety thing to do with glass, if I am not mistaken.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dacman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c10se.14127$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

Hi Simon,

the E? is a control stamp from the ECE which is the Economic Commission for Europe and is inside a circle. The E stands for ECE and the number tells in which country the part has been approved. The 1 stands for Germany, 6 for Belgium. Many parts may only be used in Europe when they have such a stamp. It doesn´t matter in which country the approval has been made.

Manfred

Reply to
Manfred Jantz

Don't Sigla make the genuine Mercedes screens?

Reply to
the guvnor

Yes they do,but SIGLA seems to have a problem with water entering into between laminate and causing a white haze inside of it!

Reply to
CaptainW116

In 30 yr old W116s?

Reply to
the guvnor

W123,W116,W126,W201.......................

Reply to
CaptainW116

All pretty ancient cars, few of which will have their original windscreens in anyway.

Reply to
the guvnor

Yeah ancient,but REAL Mercedes,not Chryslers in Mercedes skin

Reply to
CaptainW116

It's the other way around, see the Crossfire, an SLK in disguise, or the 300 an E-Class in disguise...

Reply to
the guvnor