Winter and Summer Tyre Recommendations? 2001 E320

I picked up an E320 whose OEM "all season" tyres are just about shot. I would appreciate your suggestions for replacing them. I live in Southwestern
Ontario and have always found separate sets of tyres to be a good investment. I will probably keep the original 16" rims for the winter tyres and am considering buying a set of 17" wheels with same size of rubber for next summer. My driving style a fairly spirited, I'm willing to give up some tread life and a bit of comfort in exchange for traction and responsiveness.
Thanks for your ideas.
Ijed
Excellent decision... use original wheels for snow tires and new wheels for summer high performance tires.
As for snow tire recommendation, you probably know Nokian... get them... they are the best.
I recall that I used Nokian Hakkapellita boots on a 3 series Bimmer I ownen 8 or 9 years ago. They gave excellent traction in ice and snow. Any suggestions for summer tyres.
Thank you.

I am leaning toward the new Avon tyre TireRack have... Tech M500... I like their tread and the price is right... very very reasonable... Plus some people compared them to Bridgestone S-03 or S-02... that's quite impressive.
i also recommend the nokian, but even they are not able to stop the fishtailing to which rear wheel drive cars are prone.
Sherm

Fishtailing? You must have been driving super fast.

No, I wouldn't think so, just too haeavy on the gas probably...
Hey Sherm! Lay off that gas pedal in the snow!
Marty
Unless he had spikes. I don't use spikes.