Wiper Problems on '89 190E 2.6

The single wiper on my '89 190E 2.6 no longer works properly. The sideways motion of the entire arm is fine but the up/down motion which allows the wiper to cover the entire windsheld is mis-timed. It extends outwards when the arm swings to the sides and also when it is straight upright. As a result the top corners are not longer reachable. If fact the normal size of the blades no longer fit properly, I have had to switch to shorter wipers.

It all started while I was driving in heavy rain on a highway a couple of months ago, when suddenly the wiper got stuck in one of the bottom corners of the windsheld. I was forced to drive a couple of miles to a safer area of the highway before I had a chance to unstick the arm/blade. In the meantime, I did smell burning rubber before I came to a stop.

Everything on the wiper else works well..just this in/out motion of the arm, which extends and retracts at the wrong points on the windsheld.

Any idea how I might solve this problem. Thanks

Reply to
birdman

the up and down movement is controlled by some gear inside the black hump you see down at the blade arm

i took mine apart some time...to regrease...now its of by some mm.... i suggest you either know what your doing...have a lot of spare time or you go to your dealer and have them put in a new wiper arm. in order to remove the mechanism...you will have to remove the black plastic cover you see from inside the hood right under the windshield behind the firewall. the house where the gears are located can only be opened when detatched from the car...don't try to pry it open, it its screwed tight from the back.

or you might get a used set of wiper mechanism

good luck, alex

"birdman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

Thanks Alex,

Well if I can and once I remove the mechanism, what should I look for? How do I fix the problem once the wiper has been pried open?

Birdman

Reply to
birdman