Wondering?

Hello everyone,

I want try to pick the brains (especially the guru's here) of people on this site. I want to buy an M-B. I want to get an S-class. The early eighties is the era I want. Do you think, a diesel or gas is better? I've never owned a diesel before. I am seriously contemplating a M-B. So I need HELP.

Sincerely,

Bill G.

Reply to
Wildman

Diesel's are good in that they are tough ass mofo's (well, outside of the

350SDL). Gas is good in that it doesn't stink up the place, or leave soot the back of your car, is quieter, and is faster. Out of curiousity, why not an 86-91 S-class? Richard

I want try to pick the brains (especially the guru's here) of people on this site. I want to buy an M-B. I want to get an S-class. The early eighties is the era I want. Do you think, a diesel or gas is better? I've never owned a diesel before. I am seriously contemplating a M-B. So I need HELP.

Sincerely,

Bill G.

Reply to
marlinspike
300SD, the only early '80s choice.
Reply to
T.G. Lambach

any idea why the 300SD variant was never released in the UK? with the high tax on gasoline here, one would have thought an 'economical' benz would have sold well ...

or was it something to do with a RHD version not being possible?

Reply to
atwifa

This is what I'm asking for me. M-B for dummies, applies to me :o)

Should I look at the 86-91 S-class?

Gas or diesel, again.

Thanks.

Bill

Reply to
Wildman

You can get a 1991 560SEL, a great, extended wheelbase car, for less than many pay in insurance alone for a year. Check EBay or Autotrader.com. Big engines, strong drivers, plush, comfortable and safe, they're wonderful cars. The SEL designation means it's a long wheelbase fuel injected sedan (lots of back seat legroom). Even the back seats recline on those, sometimes with seat heaters built in.

Maintenance is the key. Nothing's more expensive than a good deal on a poorly maintained car. Basically, the old larger MBs are out of favor for the simple reason that they're not trim, athletic and sleek styles like the new ones. They're probably better built and more durable than anything you could buy today, at a fraction of the price.

I'm beginning to favor diesel more and more; they have enough torque to pull stumps out of the ground, but still get great mileage. On the downside is the slower acceleration, the smell and the smoke, which isn't considerable enough to really notice. That diesel exhaust may be visible doesn't necessarily indicate it pollutes more, it only means it's more visible. I've read reports that claim gasoline emissions, while nonvisible, are actually far more polluting. Don't know, but it's certainly worth investigating how you like the diesel feel when driving.

Not sure they have S Class diesels in the US, but there are plenty of gasoline versions of the 560SEL around, at very good prices. A friend of mine has a 1991 560SEL and favors driving it over his ML430 and E500; he's keeping it until it won't run, but it's pushing 300K miles now and still drives like new. He says it's the best part of working, getting to drive his 560 to and from the office. Not a bad recommendation for a $9,000, thirteen-year-old car. In his five years of ownership, he's had nothing done but maintenance and tire replacement.

Reply to
Newsgroup Reader

"atwifa" hat in Betrag news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk dies gedichtet:

AFAIK thte 300SD W126 was only available in the US, because there was some kind of an illogical run at everything which was made by Mercedes and had a diesel engine at the beginning of the '80s. At that time Mercedes did not really think that a Diesel engine could compete with a petrol engine in other therms than longeviety and fuel consumption. It was hard to imagine to put a taxicab engine into this luxury limousine.

When travelling to the US, I saw some strange cars never sold to Germany, for example one Mercedes 300 CD (two door W123 coupé body with five cylinder Diesel engine). Funny thing: This car was painted in ivory, which is the mandatory colour of taxicabs in Germany. Nobody in Germany would have the idea to buy a Diesel coupé back then. Nowadays times are changing. Some manufacturers even sell Diesel convertibles, while Mercedes is thinking about doing it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

The 81-85 are good in that they can be purchased for very little money. The

86-91's are good in that they were much much more powerful and more advanced (although I don't like the fact that the 86-91 S only had a center cubby, i.e no glove box) (In case you are not aware, the 81-85 and 86-91 are the same basic car (same body, pretty much same interior, same chasis - W126.).

If you go 86-91, go gas. Apparently the 350 diesel engine is an inherently bad engine that doesn't last long.

Reply to
marlinspike

What about an 420 95' SEL?

Bill

Reply to
Wildman

That's a whole 'nother thing. The 1995 420 was based on the W140 chasis. A fancy but bloated S whcih possessed a few electrical demons. It wasn't built with the same old world quality as the W126 (1981-1991) but it is a lot fancier.

Reply to
marlinspike

They must be close as the coupe (CLK 270 CDI) is already out.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Hi all,

Well I did it. I bought an 1989 560 SEL. It has 138,000 miles on it. Is that ok? If anyone can enlighten me more on this car, please do so. First thing I'm doing before "officially" buy the car, is to be thoroughly inspected. The car is in Tampa, FL and I am on Long Island, NY. And thus the careful inspection. I hope it's everything that the owner said it is. Oh yeah, I brought it on e-Bay. The pictures were very through.

Also, is the MBCA worth getting into?

Bill G.

Reply to
Wildman

Also, is the MBCA worth getting into?

Save your m> Hi all,

Reply to
Camille

What's the gas mileage on those?

cp

Reply to
cp

Congrats!

Change ALL the fluids ASAP!

cp

Reply to
cp

Reply to
Rockman59

Not as bad as I thought but for 65-75 I'll stick with an old 240D :-)

cp

Reply to
cp