Yay! I got my new M-B!

It arrived today! The brand new Mercedes C Class Sports Coupe to replace the ageing '94 SL280.

And I am very impressed! Technology has come a long long way in 9 years, the on-board computer seems to have endless functionality, and thats even before one starts playing with COMAND, which is nothing short of phenominal!

I ordered the 180K version - the entry level engine, because I thought it would be powerful enough, especially considering MB wants £1500 for each upgrade offering just 20 or 30bhp.

And I wasn't wrong. It actually feels more powerful than the 2.8 litre engine in the SL. I know the SL was heavier, but the thing about this engine is that it just seems so torquey, and in the manual it says 220NM from

2,500-4500rpm, so that is geniune V6 torque right across the rev range.

Obviously I am still running it in, so max. acceleration has not been tested, but it really does feel very powerful.

Not only that but the refinement is very good. It may only be a 4 cylinder engine - and I know some people have complained about M-B 4 pots, but in my opinion it is more refined than the SL280 ! (I know the 4 potters have been recently updated though). There is a slight supercharger whine under acceleration, but it dissapears when cruising and I don't think its a problem. I think the case for 6 cylinder engines is looking very thin - and if you disagree just try the new twinspark engines!

I can't get over how good it is on the motorway though. It sits at 70mph and feels like 30, the engine spins at a very sedate 2,500 rpm, and it is much more comfortable than the old SL.

The auto'box is very good too. It feels as sharp as a manual box, by comparison, the box of the old SL seems a bit slushy now!

Although some reviewers have complained that it isn't sporty enough to justify its name, I find the handling very good, again I am amazed at the development.

Parktronic is absolutely amazing too. It seems expensive as a £550 option, but now I see that it really is much better than competing products, with distance displays in both the front and rear of the car - truely amazing.

I was beginning to wonder whether Mercs were really worth the money, and I am reminded again, that yes indeed they are!

Pix here:

Oliver Keating

Nice! (but have you noticed that the steering wheel is on the wrong side?)

Reply to
cp

Oh no! I only just noticed - your right! I had better get that fixed under warranty immediately ;)

Reply to
Oliver Keating

Reply to
Klaus

It was touch and go with COMAND, as a £1750 option its pretty pricey

That is a standard number plate (I blanked out the letters), they have changed the format now,

it goes

AA ## BBB

where the "aa" is the location code of where the car was registered ## is the year of registration (hence 03 on mine) and "BBB" are three random letters.

Reply to
Oliver Keating

I should have known. O3 on its own would have cost more than the car...but you might have had in the family...

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Congrats. Nice color for a compact sporty car, and I can see you chose the better looking alloys :P

John

[...]
Reply to
zenith red

Guess I should give thanks then. Here in the 'colonies' (i.e: California) all one need do is be the first to apply for the particular registration. If it's still available, it's yours for a mere $25 US additional each year, up to seven characters in length.

Jerry Wolfram '78 450 SL - 210 K miles California license: "PNZR WGN"

miknik wrote:

Reply to
Jerome K. Wolfram

Back in the day it was £5 for whatever you wanted

Reply to
miknik