Yet Another Questions about my 1997 E-420

Guys,

I must thank each and everyone of you who have responded to my previous posts about my new-to-me pride and joy - E-420 Sedan.

I have another query. After I received the car back from being serviced, I noticed the actuation levers (turn signal AND cruise-control actuation) mounted on the steering column were LOOSE. That is, these two stalks are mounted to an assembly that fits around the steering column. When I stroked for making either a LEFT or RIGHT turn signal, the whole assembly shifted down or up and I had to push further to get engagement. A few days later, the whole assembly was TIGHT. It was as if the problem never existed. The mechanic said he'd only worked on the passenger side (changed the charcoal filters for the cabin air - they were filthy by the way). Well, today (about a week later), the looseness was back. The weather here was unusually hot today and the car interior was even hotter. I'm assuming the temperature must be affecting something. I took the car to the mechanic and he had never heard of any problem like what I was describing.

Again, I'm appealing to the wisdom of a higher court (this newsgroup/forum) for any background information anyone may have about what I'm experiencing.

As usual, thanks in advance because I've always been informed by everybody's responses.

Hez of the Pacific NW

Reply to
boltons

Mmm... probably your signal stalk is on the way out... buy a new one.

Reply to
Tiger

Hi Tiger, I just responded to your reply to my "wet coil on plug" query. Had I check the rest of my postings, I could have done a 2 for 1.

So, from your experiences, the looseness, movement of the assembly in an indicator of impending failure. I guess the USED car purchase is starting to catch up with me.

Thanks for your information and thanks for the quick response. I love this newsgroup thing with the internet.

Ciao for now.........Hez of the Pacific NW

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
boltons

Any older car with loose signal stalk are definite sign of broken mechanism inside that signal stalk. One of the used car we bought had that problem... but doesn't go halfway like you did.

Reply to
Tiger

Hey Everybody,

After a I-5 trip from Washington State to Southern Calif and back, I figured I'd better have this loose turn signal assy looked into.

Solution was to tighten a loose screw on the collar ring that clamped the assy to the steering column. Of course, the steering wheel assy had to be disassembled and removed (air bag, steering wheel unit with electrics, turn signal, and cruise control mechanism). It took the shop a bit of detective work to reassemble everything because of the electrical plugs.

Anyway, that is the long and the short of that MBZ phenom....

Just sharing to the group.

snipped-for-privacy@teleport.com wrote:

Reply to
boltons