Your favorite M-B Ride

Page 1 of 2
Even though the E320/210 body has a nice feature set, I really liked riding in my son's old '83 300DT/123 better. It seemed much more solid on the road.
What's your favorite ride?
Collin KC8TKA
'84 300 SD w126
Billymack
For me every ride has been better and the cars more reliable.
'79 300D 123 - loved it at the time but quirky as those older Ds could be sometimes '85 190D 201 - firmer, sportier and more reliable than the '79 - repairs became costly after 150k miles '95 E300D 124 - nearly a perfect car with the non-turbo 606 engine, great ride and very reliable through 210k miles '02 E320 210 - no complaints, my favorite ride to date even though I prefer diesels.
My favorite ride is setting my cruise @ 180 km/hr on my 91 560SEC. Comfortable seats, nice Audio, solid and reliable. The only drawback is the fuel consumption.
Where are you that you can set 180 km on the cruise control?
DAS
"saeef" < snipped-for-privacy@pdo.co.om> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Dori:
I don't know where HE is, but a friend of mine in Buenos Aires sent me an e-mail about riding in a Mercedes down there, and I thought I misunderstood, because he wrote that they rode at "220 kms." When I wrote back and said that that would be more than 120 miles per hour, he said yes, that was correct; the owner of the car was demonstrating the car's power and how easy it was to control at high speeds....

Any of the cheapest and smallest Mazdas, Toyotas or Hondas or VWs will do over 120mph (190km/h), why so surprised? Never been outside of the US? I gave a ride to some guy from Vancouver once to the Expo 2000 in Hannover, 3 lanes of bumper to bumper rush hour traffic at 120mph (190km/h), now that's driving, the poor guy almost passed from fright :-) In Paris, from experience, heavy traffic can move at over 140mph in the tunnels that you can see in the movie Ronin. I've spent thousands of kilometers at over 150mph, nothing to brag about in Europe, you really must do some travel and see how things are done in the rest of the world.
cp
It's not the 180 km/h I was querying -- I have exceeded that on many occasions -- it was the fact that he could set cruise control, implying that a few minutes at least could go by at that speed.
DAS

Oh I understood what you were saying. I didn't know cruise could be set at that speed. At that speed one ought to be concentrating, cruise control is not for that.
cp
cp wrote:

In the 560 you don't feel the speed as in some other cars. It drives smooth and effortless at high speeds, it kind of likes to go 160km/hr or more. The curise control works up to 240 km/hr (150 mile/hr). The max speed on the odo is 260 km/hr (163mile/hr).

Yeh, exactly, that's the problem, you don't realize the speed and might not react appropriately if something comes up.

It will go faster! :-)
cp
The old 300/320 inline 6 will do a steady 80mph (130kmph) and not feel even a little stress. I've more worries about the transmission than about the engine.
Also, is the correct nomenclature a. kph b. km/hr c. km/h
... or does anyone really care. (Even if you know what time it is.)
Collin KC8TKA E320/97 with wings
I would say c. is the nearest to the SI unit version, thus 'most correct', but a. is widely used in English-speaking countries.
Should be km h(raised to power of minus one), which is a bit clumsy and impossible to render in text-only format.
hr is the English, non-SI unit for hours and is still widely used, but strictly, incorrect.
DAS
"Cheesehead" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

About nomenclature: My owner's manual shows mph and km/h, but that may be a format designed for the American market. (I'm nine floors above my parked car right now, otherwise I'd look at the speedometer.)

You mean 130mph?
My brother's '87 5spd 2.6 w124 would go almost 120mph up mountain passes. Heck, my mom's '89 200D w124 will do 115mph and I've driven 4cyl turbo diesel benzes at over 145mph for a couple of hours so what's 80mph for a 300/320?
cp
I meant kilometers / hour. Making the inline 300/320 do 100mph is be no big deal. It's definitely a better engine than the V. But the transmission I do have questions about.
The 300D engine really began to impress me when I took the old '83 (2 years ago) out on Interstate 70 near Dayton, going to the HamVention. My brother stepped down on his 2.0 Passat and took off way ahead. So I stepped down on the Diesel. (It's name was "Vin". Of course.) The little bugger surprised me and I caught up with him A most positive diesel experience.
I want another one. Anyone got one to trade for my E? :)
Collin KC8TKA E320/97
Yeh, what I meant was that 130km/h or 230km/h is a snooze for a 300/320
cp

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

In Oman. We have a dual carriageway across a desert with few traffics. Actually I drove the car once to 255 km/hr but only for a short time. It want to 240 easy, but from 240 to 255km/hr, it took about 3 kms to reach.Even at these speeds the car was still solid and stable.

Nothing to brag about. Drive at that speed for a couple hundred of kilometers. 255km/h should be nothing for a 560SEC.
cp
Can be quite a strain on the driver, requiring considerable extra concentration even when the roads are empty.
DAS