Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Page 1 of 6
Which of the above is the best roadster? What do people think?
Here's a Russian article. Can anyone translate this. http://bmw.carclub.ru/articles/allarticles/0000004340 /
I'm not sure which one I'd choose. I probably lean towards the Z4 M, but Boxster S has probably better handling. Recently Boxster S won vs Z4M in a comparo. SLK 55 has nice hardtop but no manual, but has presence (read: chicksmobile?) from the front like the SLR. I think all are winners. Any thoughts?
This month's issue of Car and Driver has a comparison of the M Coupe' and the Cayman S, the Cayman was quicker in all but one accleration test and was 2 seconds quicker around the test track. C&D gave it the win because of it's superior performance and dynamics.
Although I'm aware that you're talking about the M Roadster and Boxster S, not the M Coupe' and Cayman S, there's a reason for my bringing this up: Porsche is introducing the Cayman's engine range to the Boxster models for the 2007 model year along with minor suspension tweaks. As far as I know, all comparisons made thus far between the M Roadster and Boxster S have used the less powerful, less evolved 06' model year Boxster S for comparison, rendering the results moot unless you're planing on buying an 06' model year unit as opposed to waiting for the new version.
As far as the SLK55 is concerned, it's very quick in a straight line, but I'm hard pressed to believe it can handle on par with either the BMW or the Porsche. It's a more "fashionable" sporty GT coupe than it is a sports car and it's probably most akin to the *outgoing* MKIV platform Audi TT than anything else, although I'd personally prefer the DSG equipped 3.2 TT to the SLK despite it's less frantic accleration.
If you're really considering spending the cash on a sports roadster, a Comptech supercharged Honda S2000 isn't a bad way to go either, although the supercharger will void your factory warranty and it isn't as refined as the European vehicles. You can also look for a second hand Boxster S (I'd go for an 03' or newer model) and fitting it with an intake/exhaust upgrade and GIAC's chip, which will net you around 15-20 horsepower combined.
RichAsianKid wrote:

Filmophile wrote:

Thanks for all the details.
As for above, probably off-topic for these ngs, any idea how the Honda S2000 compare with the Nissan Z?
A factory stock S2000 will keep up with a 350Z in accleration tests and probably be quicker around a given track. However, getting that kind of performance from the S2000 means driving it *really* hard and knowing how to keep the engine inside it's narrow powerband between 6,000 and 8,200 RPM. The 350Z is a more refined vehicle, more comfortable and nearly as quick, it's also got a much more flexible engine. In the real world, the 350Z is a more well rounded choice, but the S2000 has appeal as a weekend canyon carver.
RichAsianKid wrote:

Well, ok, but ya gotta be a tiny little dude to fit inside an S2K, where even a 6' 5"er can fit inside a 350Z....
Filmophile wrote:

I'd love to get a Cayman. Too bad it's out of my league, money-wise... 8(

I've driven a Boxster S quite extensively and tried a Z4M coupe yesterday. The Z4 was way more fun but I suspect the Porsche would be as quick if not quicker. Just a more accurate car where the Z4M was definately more involving. Didn;t get to switch DSC off though as I was nannied by the dealer :-(

The article is too long to translate, but here are the pluses and minuses that they assign to each:
Boxster: + for handling, quality, display arrangment - for lack of comfort
SLK: + for comfort, power - for handling, braking
Z4:
+ for handling, transmission - for visibility, comfort
John Cisarik wrote:

Thanks.
Too bad Google does not have the Russian translation engine. Did the article give an overall winner? Not that it matters much - it's like a composite index anyway, so depends what you're looking for. But since it's posted to a Russian BMW carclub possibly the reviewers gave the nod to the Z4M?
And
- for looking the same at both ends..
DAS
"John Cisarik" < snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:8dRrg.342512$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
Lets not forget a Cayman S will be $15K more the MZ coupe. That ain't chump change. Anyway, I think I'll keep my 11 year old supercharged E36 M3.

Top Gear conpared the Boxter and the SLK55 and was shocked that they found it more capable in every area than the Porsche.
richasiankid, which one are you planning on getting?
the mercedes is a sissy status-seeking sport's car, the z4 looks weird, to say the least....i like the suave-ness, curvacious body, poise and grace of the boxster. midengine, rear-wheel drive..the ultimate for balance and stability.

i like the way the boxster looks like it glides on the road...with those 'propeller' wheels spinning.
i like the fact that there's no backseat as well. who needs that dead space for a sportscar anyways?
i also like the soft, drop-top...even though you don't like convertibles...it still looks sexy...it reminds me of a bikini top, lol

The 6's were. The 55 will out-evrything the Prosche.

You're guessing, and guessing wrong.
And the first Merc CLK Cab W208 looks much better then any of these and has space for 4 reasonably-sized adults. And doesn't require one to stop and think which end is which...;-)
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:e8q49s$6kr$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...
Richard Sexton wrote:

The CLK 63 (481hp) is coming out; any word on whether a SLK 63 is in the works? But then maybe that'll make it too 'hood-heavy' assuming it's heavier than the 55 equivalent.

Beats me. All I know about new cars is what I see on Top Gear. I only know old cars.
Richard Sexton wrote:

A good site is autospies http://www.autospies.com/ Some say it's biased towards BMWs but I don't think so.