Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Page 3 of 6
wrote:

    I'm okay with most of what you wrote, but it wasn't the 911 that kept Porsche alive during the 80s - it was the 944. The 944 was the Boxster of its day - an "entry level" Porsche with moderate power - by Porsche standards - and phenomenal handling that sold by the bucket-load. (And if you read the old articles, writers often said that the 944 would outperform the 911 if only it had as much power, the same thing we hear about the Boxster and Cayman today).     The 911 was out-selling the 928, but both models combined wouldn't have kept Porsche afloat. Even now, I think I read Porsche sells fewer than 3000 911s a year. The company learned its lesson a decade ago - they can't make a living selling 911s. Accepting this is why they branched out to all the different model lines.     But the 911's value goes beyond sales - every model variant generates pages and pages of free publicity in every car magazine on the planet, it's the benchmark car in every comparison road test, and its shape remains the first thing in most people's mind's-eye when they heard the word Porsche. The Cayenne and Cayman don't come close to generating the same ink. Until *that* stops, they'd be crazy to stop producing the 911, despite being able to make something better in their sleep.     epbrown -- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black

You might be horrified to look up the correct meaning of the word "prestigue". I do not disgaree with the rest of your post but this was an unfortunate choice of words.

Well "Prestige", which is the word I choose (not "Prestigue") means the following:
1. The level of respect at which one is regarded by others; standing. 2. A person's high standing among others; honor or esteem. 3. Widely recognized prominence, distinction, or importance: a position of prestige in diplomatic circles.
I think that works fine.

Try the original definition. The French one.

Well, I'm using the modern English variance of the word, so it's not an issue for me.

That's what I said before I found out what it was. :-)

Well, yes, but journalists don't pay for their cars...
--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

True, but they've got a point. Neither the 912 nor 914-6 did well being a few K shy of a 911. I'm surprised the boxster is doing as well as it is.
There is one school of thought that says it (and the lessor SLKs) are "secretaries cars". Snicker.
Which one was the hairdressers' car?
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:e917i5$uh4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...

That would be all those three-pointed star cars that can't even surpass Chevrolet and Ford on the JD Power Initial Quality and Reliability surveys..................

Yeah. Chicks dig that shit.
Dodge Neon or no car due to DUI. Maybe I need to know better hairdressers.

Really? What journalists?
The Boxster's mid-engine configuration is generally considered to offer better handling characteristics than the rear-engine of the 911 (and I have a 2002 Carrera) since the weight distribution is more equal. While it has been largely engineered out of the 911, the car will still exhibit trailing throttle oversteer if you get into a corner at 11/10ths and lift. If you know what to do at the limit the Carrera is a formidable handler, but the natural reaction of most drivers in this case is exactly wrong.
I had a Boxster as a loaner while the Carrera got tires, and the car is a wonderful handling car. Not as fast as my Carrera, but a very nice ride and hardly a consolation prize. Anybody who tells you so is just kidding themself.
Filmophile wrote:

Ouch! That's last paragraph's harsh!

Off topic, but some (ahem, obviously biased) stats from 2003: http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/information/press/magazine/magazine2002/getagrip2.html
Richard Sexton wrote:

Oh? How's the manual gearbox?

Not available, but you already knew that. Not really relevant either and you knew that too.
Richard Sexton wrote:

Right.
Wrong.
here's my take (996 cabrio driver in Germany)
The BMW Z3 and Z4 are great looking cars, real retro/nuevo looking roadsters. I like 'em plenty. If I had a bunch of cash and a twenty car garage I'd one one of both.
I really don't give a rat's ass about track times, etc.
The other day I was picking my son up from school, and there's this Mercedes Benz, concours, 190 SL cabrio parked in front of me. Wow! Silver paint, lipstick red interior, and a bakelite white steering-wheel. Hello! Sexy! At least as sexy/hot as an E-Type Jaguar of the same vintage. Lots of chrome trim and chrome bumpers that actually did their job back before *park assist* radar.
So, for me, it's not about class, track times, top speed. It's style plus performance. We own a 996 because my good wife always wanted a Porsche cabriolet, and we find ourselves at that point in life where we can afford one as a garage queen.

The only areas MB outdoes Porsche is on the JD Power Initial Quality and Reliability surveys, where Porsche leads or is near the top of the list on both, while MB languishes well below the industry average - MB just racks up so many more black marks. Hell, Ford and Chevrolet are doing better than MB.

Which is really sad, because Mercedes cars used to be renowned for their build quality and long term reliability. My grandfather owned a 1979 350SD and a 1990 560SEC as new cars - great machines. More revently he's owned a 1998 500SL "Sport" and a newer E500 wagon. I liked both, but the rock solid build isn't there anymore, nor is that "special feeling" the older ones gave off. An uncle recently traded in his E500 sedan and went back to Lexus, apparently his E had to many niggles for his comfort. Hopefully they'll get back on track, but I think the company is spread thin - they're trying (very, very slowly) to fix all of Chrysler's problems while getting back on track with their own products.
Another family member recently purchased a BMW 530i, and while it drives well, it's interior feels cheap, especially the back of the center console where the rear a/c controls are and the door panels - it's cheap plastic that feels much like that of a firend's 2006 Honda Accord. I'm not impressed.