Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Page 5 of 6
Jim Keenan wrote:

Let's see, "infrequent" means (not occurring regularly or at short intervals). Failure to change the oil as recommended might be the cause of ... what?
Thirty years ago a valid, legally enforceable contract between two business corporations could be written on a single sheet of paper. Today, it requires a ream of paper to write the same contract. Conclusion: Excess chaff and rare wheat grains exist today proving that more is not better.
What a joy to see plain simple straight-forward communication without some apparent need for pretense or trying to audition for the 'elite'.
No offense is intended: I merely made an observation after reading and re-reading trying to figure out what was being said, or attempted to be said.
There's nothing wrong with 'education', but what passes for education and or intellect these days is something I must just shake my head at.

Sure, but keep in mind a Mercedes used to cost (a lot) more than a Toyota and this is (absurdly) no longer true.
People want cheap. So now they've got cheap Mercedes with overcomplicated electrics and bits that fall off and electromechanical systems so bizarre that MB techs I know have quit claiming the cars are unfixable.
One wag says "MB has jumped the shark the way Jag did a decade ago".
The long Maybach is still nice though :-) But the days of handbuilt 111 coupes in the somewhat affordable range are gone, period. Which is fine , new cars suck anyway :-)

MB may have jumped the shark, but Jags have always been shit for reliability- they just used to be *classy* pieces of shit.

Har. Yeah but then they work...
Again, deffering to that great bastion of TV automotive excellence, Top Gear, they recenly tested an E-type and got a 3 (?) second better lap time than a Lotus Espirt. That's pretty damn impressive really.
I was impresses that the car could make a complete lap without breaking down.
C'mon, it's been a lot better since Ford poured billions into it (Jag).
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:e97igd$vo0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...

For some definition of the word "better". For example they "saved" Aston too, and now have made more Astons in on year than the entire production of the company before the buyout.
How many different engines do we need in a Taurus chassis, anyway?

Fiurst of all, are we talking about a real, vintage XKE or one of the new XK8s?

No, a real one. 62 or 63 I think.

I don't believe it. Unless it was an old n/a 4-cylinder Esprite and the track was an oval where the Jag's power would make a significant difference, something is wrong with that review. Top Gear is more like automotive entertainment than it is a reliable source for performance data, IMO. They also claimed that some hopped-up version of the WRX STi was faster around a track than a Lamborghini Murciealgo.

It's not 'a' track, but *their* track. Which is not an oval, but a typical small twisty UK club type one. No straights long enough for any car to get near its top speed.
--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Ford may have ruined the 'classy' part, (for some models) but they've made great strides on the reliability front.
--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

My paternal grandfather is on his 2nd XJ8, he owned of of the last bodystyle and then traded in for the newest version after they came out. Both have had strange problems and the nav system in the new one keeps failing. An uncle owns the newest XJR, it's the 2nd one he's had in just over 2 years. The first one was in the shop more than 40 times for various repairs and he had to sue them to replace it when it simply stopped running. The new one seems OK so far except for a rim that seemed to bend itself for no reason.
An aunt recently decided to purchase an S-Type V8, which is ugly but seems fine otherwise. Although I'd venture to say that the fact that it's essentially a Lincoln LS with a different body has something to do with that.

I lifelong dream has been realized. I've now seen the words "Ford" and "reliability" in the same sentance. (my family is 3 for 3 with the Ford experiment over 40 years. They just don't seem to work for us).

Hey, I only do old cars and all this is quite academic to me. All I know is from watching the (very) odd "Top Gear" and I was stunned to hear they felt it outdid the boxter in every category and they'd pick that car every time.
Don't shoot the messenger! Take it up with them.

Don't need to. Car and Driver has had the Boxster as one of its "Ten Best" for years running now, so who cares what Top Gear picks?

I stopped reading US car magazines around the time of the R/T bribery scandal. I'm not sure I trust any of them any more. But you're taling apples and oranges... sure it probably belongs in the top 10 of anybody's list, the top gear wonks simply made the point that in testing he two head to head the AMG SLK simply outperformed the boxter in every are. Perhaps not a fair cmoparison as AMG versions are typically pretty hairy and porsche has yet to bring out it's equivalent of the factory hotrod AMG version of the slk.
I'm sorry to read all the back-and-forth nastiness here about something that is, in the end, a personal choice.
I made my choice in 1999, when I compared the Boxster of that time with the Z3 and the SLK230. I live in Chicago, where the winters are long and cold, so the retractable hard-top of the SLK was a draw. At the same time, I was a little hesitant because I thought it might fail at some point.
My recollection is that the SLK had about one more inch of head room than the other Z3 or Boxster, and that is what moved me into the "buy" mode. The top has not failed, my head doesn't hit the ceiling when I drive, and just last year, when the car was beginning to seem a little old, a young woman who was passing as I lowered the top smiled and said "Cool car!" I think I'll keep it.

What? She didn't quote JD Power statistics to you? What's wrong with the youth of today?
Lawrence Lugar wrote:

For now I'll stick with my 330Ci. If I have to choose, perhaps next year, maybe the boxster S. Though I know I said I'd leaned towards the Z4M before. Not sure, have to test drive them before I tell. I for sure like the hp, but sometimes hp is not everything. LIke digicams - other features like ergonomics, LCD screens become important when pondering between a 8 MP and a 9 MP digicam - it's no longer megapixels if the competition is too close.
My 330Ci engine, though weaker than the SLK350, seemed more purposeful to me and there's that exhilirating rush as I rev up towards the redline that I get from a bimmer that I don't get from a Mercedes it seems - maybe too much Mercedes torque on the lower end of the rpm curve, so it makes no sense to push the car harder - you see all there is to see initially, so when you drive it hard, you get an anticlimax. It sort of felt that way....I test drove the SLK350 for a cous of mine (tells you how much she likes cars!) as she liked the shape and styling. I sort of convinced the Mercedes sales who worked in BMW before doing the testdrive that I was swapping the 330Ci for the SLK350. He kept saying, "you know, you won't get much more horsepower in this one....it won't go faster than the 330Ci......." What??? EVerything he stated was wrong and not in his favor. He's a born BMW sales as you can tell. Unless he's applying reverse psychology on me!

RichAsianKid wrote:

Which btw, I think in terms of cachet probably porsche > mercedes > BMW. Street cred? Hmmm...porsche >BMW > Mercedes? Not sure.