How do you remove an MGB stearing wheel?

I am replacing the horn /high beam/ turn signal lever on my 1978 MGB. I cant seem to get the stearing wheel off the column. I have already bought a new stearing wheel in case I damage this one but it has not budged a milimeter.

Reply to
silverdolph

Undo the nut several turns untill the top face of the nut is flush with the thread on the end of the steering column, but do not remove.

Squat on the seat with your knees tucked up under the wheel and pull back hard.

Using a brass drift and a hammer, give the centre of the steering column a good solid whack.

Repeat as needed.....

Reply to
Bot

It's not easy 28 years after assembly. What I've done in the past is sit in the driver's seat and grip the top and bottom of the wheel with either hand. Now tug at the top and push at the bottom, then alternate to push at the top and tug at the bottom. Keep alternating, moving your hands around the wheel (although top & bottom seem to work best). After 5 or 10 minutes grunting, the joggling action eventually shifts it. Probably. Al

Reply to
Al, Cambridge, UK

And as Bot said, keep the nut on! Otherwise, you'll end up with 'MG' imprinted in your forehead and a bloody nose....................

Dan D '65 MGB Tourer '76 MGB Tourer Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Have a read of this;

Benny Cemoli