2003 Power Steering Problems

My 2003 Cooper S has been acting strange today. The power steering quite altogether when I was driving to my shop. I couldn't find anything wrong, and when I came back out several hours later and started the car, the power steering was working again. My first guess was that perhaps the cooling fan had a stone in it or something, and the pump went into overtemp shut-down.

Then the second problem - when I got home later that day, pulled into the garage and shut off the car, the power steering pump would not stop. I finally had to disconnect the battery to make the pump stop.

I could not find a fuse or relay that would stop and pump, and I pulled them all out trying. Perhaps there is a relay somewhere that's become intermittent, and is now hanging up?

Anyone know where the power steering pump relay is?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Tim/

Reply to
Tim H

Hi Tim, Take a serious look at the back of the fuse box, I had one doing some funny things a while ago , it turned out that the fusebox had melted in one place and caused some connections to touch & short across, HTH...... worth a try Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy