A/C On = Loss of power?

Hi all..

Just want to know that when the Air con is on, does this result in loss of power and performance? It may be my imagination, but it certainly feels like it in my '03 UK Cooper S.

Cheers,

Matt Boocock

Reply to
Matthew Boocock

Not on mine, makes NO difference to the MPG either. Why you have it on at this time of year in the UK is the bigger question!!!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige, On a Mission From God............

When the compressor is on, yes. When you push the button, the compressor will cycle on/off as required so the power loss will vary some, but while the compressor is on, it does sap a small but noticeable amount of power.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I have a 2003 MCS in the USA with the "Climate Control System" and I seem to remember reading something about the fact that you may hear a "whining" sound at low speeds as in a parking lot and that this sound is caused by a separate generator specifically for the climate control system. I have heard this sound and it sounds much like the cry of a distant cat.

Personally I don't feel any difference in power when the CCS is on or off and I drive a bit on the aggresive side.... hehehe. I was very pleasantly surprised by this after my 1984 VW Rabbit GTI air conditioner would zap the power right out.

Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam

Yes it does, we've had members post dyno graphs and other runs with a/c on or off and it does make a difference, you can actually feel it somewhat too.

The MINI does try to compensate via the drive by wire technology, when you switch on the a/c it attempts to smooth out the "lurch" you might feel in other cars by upping the throttle a little to compensate. Pretty nifty, but not perfect as you can still slightly feel it.

Paul

Paul - MINI2.com

I recall the power steering system uses a separate electric motor, but I believe the A/C is driven mechanically from the engine.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I think he meant for normal running etc. Dyno graphs prove nothing to how your car 'drives' I may be wrong, but thats what I thought he meant.

Never noticed it, but then again, I never look for it!

Nige

Reply to
Nige, On a Mission From God............

I Must admit....compared to a FORD KA with a/c, the diffrerence in power is only slight!!!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Boocock

Mine dont steam up at all! It's the only car i have had that doesnt!

Reply to
N14EL !s 4ionG t0