Airbag light

Hi,

I'm looking for help with a recurrent problem with my gf's 2002 Cooper. It continually shows the airbag warning light and every time it goes back to the dealer they apparently replace some clips under a seat which cures it until it is valeted again (we suspect that some muppet with a vacuum cleaner attachment breaks them...).

Has anyone experienced the same? Does anyone know the location of the part that is being being broken? And has anyone re-engineered it so that it doesn't happen again?

Many thanks

CAS

Reply to
CAS

Hiya,

Not a lot of activity on here, you will probably have more luck having a look at

Cheerz

Reply to
Biffa Bacón

Thanks, will do looks like a good site.

CAS

Reply to
CAS

The wire extending down from the airbag in the seat can be disconnected from the wire leading up from the car's electrical system relatively easily (e.g the muppet's vacuum cleaner attachment catches on the wire and pulls the connection apart). Once that happens the airbag lamp illuminates. The lamp then has to be reset by a dealer, even if the connection is reestablished.

Reply to
Pamlico

I know this is a late response, but I had an airbag light that would come on intermittantly. Sometimes it would come on and stay on for the entire drive to work (40 miles), and other times it would go out on it's own, only to reappear some miles down the road. A trip to my dealer solved the problem. Apparently, the seat belt buckle was defective, so they replaced it. The part that was defective was the solid metal side that you pull across your chest and insert in the buckle. They told me that it was too short and wouldn't make contact with the switch in the buckle properly, causing the Air Bag light to light up. Why the "Air Bag" light lit up and not the seat belt light is beyond me, but that's what they said. They replaced it and not everything is fine.

Talker

Reply to
Talker