Are all dealers selling over sticker price?

Are there any dealers that are not marking up?

Reply to
Raul

I didn't know ANY dealers were marking up! Isn't that frowned upon by MINIUSA? I paid sticker at Roadshow in Memphis.

Reply to
AngieB

Markup at our local dealership:

$1000 over list for a Cooper, $2500 for a Cooper S

Reply to
John Francis

MINIUSA should be notified. That is strictly against their rules.

Reply to
Wayne S. Hill

Au contraire.....MINIUSA does not have "rules" regulating dealers to not charge above msrp. They give an "MSRP" ---- manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price. Miniusa is well aware that dealers (esp in Southern California) are charging above MSRP. This is called basic supply and demand....whatever the market will bear. Yes, it is unfortunate that dealers do this but this is the US and that is a part of living in a free and capatilistic society.

Reply to
PhillyMCS

Ah capitalism

Reply to
John

Perhaps I was mistaken (and perhaps someone here knows for sure), but I was told by a MINI salesman that this was the case. There is no reason MINIUSA couldn't constrain their dealers this way, the same way that Saturn dealerships are constrained. After all, MINI has a raft of other requirements, including a MINI showroom separate from the BMW showroom, etc., etc.

Reply to
Wayne S. Hill

Problem #1....."told by a sales person" Rule #1....car sales people are all liars

I don't mean to be a smart-ass but if you read the forums at mini2.com or minicooperonline.com, you'll find numerous dealers in Cali. charging above msrp. Miniusa follows those forums. I can also guarantee you that they are fully aware of every dealers pricing policy. The salesman was simply talking out his ass. The reason for the seperate showroom is product distinction...another marketing tool to...........yes, make more money. Capatilism rocks!

Reply to
PhillyMCS

I believe such a constraint would be considered price fixing:

(This type of price fixing is referred to here as "resale price maintenance.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Sturgeon

To quote Rick (Humphrey Bogart) in the classic film "Casablanca" upon being told there was suspected gambling in his establishment, "I'm shocked!"

In high-ticket retail myself, Trey Behan

Reply to
Trey Behan

I bought my MCS in Connecticut (Hartford) in May and paid exactly MSRP. In fact, when I first went in to take a look at them in person the first question I asked the salesperson was "Is there a dicount from MSRP?" and he said "no." but at least I got the same answer when I asked my second question: "Are you selling them above MSRP?"

:) Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam

Nope. As I said in an earlier post: $1000 for a Cooper, $2500 for the S.

And they'll sell you the car just as it comes in, with no dealer-installed non-optional 'options'. But I'm pretty sure they legally have to do that; ome of the forms you have to sign acknowledges your understanding that none of the dealer-installed options are a requirement to complete the purchase.

Reply to
John Francis

I bought mine at East Bay MINI in Pleasanton, CA. I paid MSRP and the only costs added were those I chose in my options. I did have to put down $1000 deposit, but that later went to my down payment.

kat

Reply to
hep kat

That's great. Did you have to wait long for your order?

I wonder why they are priced higher in California than Connecticut. I am not convinced that the demand is all that much greater in California to justify the huge price disparity.

Reply to
Raul

Well, just what *would* it take to convince you? It's not as if Mini of Mountain View have a glut of cars that they can't sell, even at the markup they are putting on the car (and despite the fact that you can, apparently, get cars at list price at East Bay Mini, a little over an hours drive away)

Reply to
John Francis

It arrived in just under ten weeks..... but that was before The Italian Job was released.... ;)

Reply to
Blues_Jam

And the flip side of capitalism and free-market economy is - take your hard-earned dollars to a hungrier supplier elsewhere! I test-drove a Cooper S last fall in Tacoma when I was visiting my kids and their attitude was much better than the only game here in Colorado (Ralph Schomp in Denver). Schomp has several unsold cars on their lot right now - all loaded with at least the cold weather and luxury packages, the S' also have the sport package. Don't know what they're trying to actually sell them for but they are definitely "dealer loaded" to maximize profit. Personally, I want an Indi Blue "S" w/o sunroof to permit the Union Jack roof decal! Anyone have any experience with the dealers in Houston or Dallas? I've got family down there, too...

TL in Colorado Springs

Reply to
Lawrence Lott

I left my state to buy my Cooper S. The wait in Philadelphia was 7-10 months at the time so I bought one in Connecticut (MSRP - no add-ons) with an 8 week wait. Mini of Fairfield County (Stamford, CT) was my dealer and I highly recommend them - probably a bit far for you but they could probably arrange shipping. Also, you can get a sunroof decal from aftermarket suppliers.

Reply to
R. Somik

MINI of the Main Line in Bala Cynwyd, PA sells at list price.

Tim Cunningham

Reply to
Tim Cunningham

Hi.

Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin, Ohio is selling them at list, too.

Enjoy.

Reply to
BillybobBrubake