cold weather package

Hey, I'm considering a Cooper with a cold weather package, but I heard a rumor that windshields or mirrors were cracking from the heated fluids. Any of you out there heard about/experienced this?

Thanks much!

Lisa

Reply to
poo

That's hard to believe, so it sounds like an unfounded rumor.

-Wayne PhD, Heat Transfer, MIT

Reply to
Wayne S. Hill

"PhD, Heat Transfer, MIT" ??? AND a MINI owner ? WOW !!! Can I be your friend ???

That's my kind of intellectual :) Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam

I agree, sees preposterous.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

We're all friends here.

Reply to
Wayne S. Hill

Hi,

I know you already ordered it, but I'm sure you'll be happy with cold weather package. Heated seats are the best thing in the world, it really is the best car development since AC. I would choose heated seats over car stereo. Anyway, we just got through a pretty cold winter here (for DC standards) and I had no problems with any of that stuff. Heated side-view mirrors are great after an icestorm!

Congrats on your order, you're going to love it!

Brook

Brook Halvorson

I have the heated seats and they are great on cold mornings. BTW Brook it sounds like you live in Washington DC. I'm in Northern Virginia near Crystal City.

Reply to
Larry Silkaitis

Thanks for piping in. Yeah, I'm a little worried about deep snow and ice ruts (in our back alley) with the low ground clearance. But our other car is a Ford Escape (the one without the leaking gas tank :-), so if the snow is bad, I can always take the truck and leave my dh stranded at home. (He works from home, anyway, so that's not as cruel as it sounds!)

And I did get the cold weather pack. Even though the couple of times I've been in heated seats in friends' cars, I always have the sensation (for just a second, before my brain figures it out) that I must have wet my pants! Am I a freak, or will I get accustomed to this?!?

ciao!

Lisa (still looking forward to the day when my mini goes "in production"--who knew "on order" could be a sad thing!)

Reply to
poo

haha, that's funny, I feel the same way in other people's heated seats. If you don't know they're on, then it feels creepy. I think when you turn on your own, you get used to it, actually fall in love with it, right away! It's even nice in warmer weather too...

Reply to
Brook Halvorson

PS

As far as the winshield goes, I spent 4 days with my Mini in NH in January when the highest temperature was -2° F, and when I was on the heavily salted highway I used up an entire reservoir of washer fluid ( heavy traffic was spraying my windshield with salty muck). The fluid didn't freeze on the windshield which I assume is because it's heated, but I can also say that even in the extreme temp difference there was no cracking (-10° windshield, warm washer fluid?). In my last car such environmental circumstances would usually produce an icy windshield before the car warmed up, so I think it's a great feature and I don't think there'll be any problems. HTH

Brook

Reply to
Brook Halvorson

Thanks, Brook. It's nice to know I'm not the only one ;-)

Say, all this talk about the CWP reminds me that when I was in the dealership, I notice wire-like filiments in the rear window on the passenger side of a few of the cars. I asked about them, thinking they must be defrosters, which seemed like a great idea--that window does seem to frost up in cars and interfere with visibility. They said that, yes, it was a defroster, but that not all MINIs had them, and this person thought there was a problem with them, that the windows kept cracking, and so, they had stopped putting defrosters there. (And this was at the dealership.) Now that I recall, it wasn't a salesperson, but the receptionist, and he was just vague enough that I thought I should ask someone else, but never did. (Too busy thinking of color combinations :-)

Anyone heard about this? Anyone have a rear window (on the co-pilot side) defroster?

Thanks for humoring me, folks!

Lisa (who just watched the factory tour and wants her MINI bad!)

Reply to
poo

Lisa, The wire in the passenger side rear window is the radio antenna. It is only put there on the models that come with the navigation system. On those models the roof antenna (cool little "shark fin") is for the nav system only.

Reply to
frenchy

Hey thanks, Frenchy. Navigation antenna. Got it. Makes more sense than the defroster (though, that didn't seem like a bad idea to me). I had heard about the windshield thing, but had it muddled: thought it was the result of the heated fluids of the CWP on the cold windshield glass. Someone here (sorry, can't remember who, please excuse) smartly pointed out that the hot fluid theory was probably an ill-proven rumor run amok. Now I understand where it might have come from. But I'm glad to hear, in any case, that it's not an issue on the later models (since I'm still waiting for mine!)

Very cool, Frenchy. Bustin' up those lame rumors, packing the verifiable truth. That's a lovely thing :-)

Thanks!

Lisa (in Minneapolis, where it's so wretched with dirty sand and melting snow today that I'm actually grateful my mini is safe yet in the UK!)

Reply to
poo