Connecting IPOD

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to connect his or her IPOD to their MINI? The dealer charges $40.00 to connect a 1/8 " jack and if it's as simple as removing a few screws along the dash, I would like to hook it up myself and save the money.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

JK

Reply to
user1

Greg Meyers

JK-

If you go the AUX Input route, as Greg said you'll have to buy the cable and then either have the dealer install it, or install it yourself. There are plenty of How-To guides online to the install, and it can actually be a lot easier than most of the How-To's make it sound. I did my own and got intolerably hung up on a certain step until I found that the step was entirely unnecessary. Go Figure.

The alternative to the AUX input is a more complicated (read: pricey) solution in the form of the Dension iceLink or whatever it is that BMW is doing with Apple to integrate iPods into MINIs (and, yeah, BMWs...). In both cases, if you have the Multifunction Steering Wheel, you'll get control of track advance and whatnot (whereas with the AUX cable you can only control volume from your wheel).

Those're the options that I'm aware of. Having the iPod hooked up to the car stereo is a joy (and if you get one of the Belkin iPod/cigarette-lighter adapters, you'll never have to let the beat drop...).

Erik

Reply to
Erik Peterson

Thanks for the tips. Good to know it can be done. I would like to go with the less expensive route and simply plug it in via the AUX. The thing is: a. I don't know how to access it (I've read on the MINI Owners Club website that you can connect to the radio from where the CD player would sit in the boot but I was hoping to do it directly from the back of the radio) b. I don't know where the find the correct adaptor for the MINI square adaptor (the cabling in the boot, at least, has a square end) c. I don't know where the online documentation can be found.

If you could point me to any web sites, I would appeciate it.

Thanks,

JK

Reply to
JK

Hi Guys,

I take delivery of my S in a few weeks and was pleased to see this post. It's something that I'd thought about but had discounted the idea as being impracticable, until I read the various ideas offered here. I'll speak to my dealer tomorrow to see what the official version is here in the UK and will let you know what's said.

Simon

Reply to
Rats

Hello again,

Having now spoken to my friendly neighbourhood dealer, it seems that they're willing to add an aux input cable + socket. However, this may well not be possible if you've got a CD changer as they will use the same aux input connection point on the back of the radio.

The other option of a Dension iceLink (?) is apparently not allowed in the UK as (if the dealer has his facts straight) it is transmitter of some description and this infringes the UK laws on broadcasting - unless you get a license.

I'm simply repeating what I've been told on all this, so if anyone knows different please speak up.

Simon

Reply to
Rats

I use something very similar here in the UK :

the dealer says its a very low power FM transmitter, so theoretically you need a broadcast licence to us it, but in practice, it has a broadcast radius of around 10meters, so should not interfere with much else. Cheerz - Brownz

Big Brownz

Simon,

I would really doubt that the iceLink would infringe on any broadcast regulations as it is a wired device. Unlike the iTrip et al, which transmit over FM, one end of the iceLink plugs directly into the iPod and the other into your head unit, more like the official MINI AUX cable+socket.

I SUPPOSE that there could be some transmission side-effects (like there are for most high-frequency electronic devices...), but I really doubt that it would be anything worthy of requiring a license...

erik

Reply to
Erik Peterson

For a more professional installation that's guaranteed to match impedences and avoid any extraneous noise, check out the Blitzsafe line of adapters for BMW/MINI. I've been using one in my 2002 for a few years.

It plugs into the already installed cable in the boot (trunk area) and you can run a cable (1/8" to RCA) to wherever you want the Ipod to be located. No remote control, but excellent direct connection to the stereo. I did it all myself, by removing the rear seat and running the cable underneath the bottom, and then along the passenger seat. You could get fancier and run it under the carpet if you desired.

You can also hook up any Alpine changer to the adapter and change the input from the changer to the Ipod connection by pushing the selection up and down buttons in quick progression.

I tried the FM transmitter thing, but had to retune 4 to 6 times between work and home due to the profusion of pirate radio stations in the Miami area. That got old in a hurry.

The folks at Crutchfield were helpful, and have a return guarantee if your installation does not work as planned.

Reply to
Bubbski