How I picked the Cooper S

I know this is preaching to the converted, but after the Scion thread, I felt like sharing....

Replacing my trusty '91 Civic Si was going to be a challenge; I was not interested in moving on (it only had 265,000 miles on it) but the issue forced itself - somebody stole it.

So I had to find a small, practical car with good performance and terrific handling, one that I could expect to drive about a quarter-million miles and still enjoy. After careful consideration of the current Civic Si, the Focus SVT, the Subaru WRX, and the Cooper S, I had to apply a very complex and involved methodology to weed out the winner. To wit:

I TEST DROVE THEM.

After that, it was a no-brainer. The WRX was faster, the Civic was more practical, the SVT offered similar performance for a much lower price, and the xA has a great price and the Toyota name behind it, but after half an hour at the wheel of the MCS, there was no discussion needed.

Took delivery ten days ago, and I'm now at risk for TMJ syndrome from the non-stop grinning.

bw

Reply to
bdubya

It was even easier for me. When I saw it driven throught the pylon course on the television program MOTORWEEK with almost no perceptible body roll I knew this was the car I'd been waiting 20 years for. I checked the specs and was sold... no test drive needed. :)

For 19 and a half years I was driving a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI and for me the real fun of a car is in the handling. Sure there are other cars out there that can out-perform my MCS in the handling department but not for anywhere near the price.

More than a year after taking delivery I still love it to death!

Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam

I didn't even test drive the MINI! First time I drove it was on my way the

400 miles home. But I wasn't a complete stranger to the M> It was even easier for me. When I saw it driven throught the pylon course
Reply to
AngieB

I was a complete stranger to the MINI. I had been looking for a car for about 3 years, and checked out several different kinds, but just couldn't get to the point of "commitment", as it were, LOL! I heard about the MINI on a Thursday, went to the dealership to check it out on Friday, and Saturday, bought it on the following Monday. Luckily they had a model that I liked available at the dealership. I'm not sure I would've gone for a 3 month wait... Must've been meant to be. First time I drove one was on the way home, although that was only 8 miles for me! NB

Reply to
nellybly

When I saw the first renderings in Autoweek years ago I was taken with them...when they hit Denver I took a test drive and I wanted one...I said, though, that I was going to wait till the convertible came out...It has, I have, now I wait...but only till November. It's been years...but it is so worth it!

Peter in Denver

Reply to
Peter Crowl

Given the added weight for the ragtop, and the thin air up on the Divide, am I right in assuming you're getting the S?

I just got through the break-in period (1250 mi) last weekend, so I can finally use the upper ranges of the powerband. Li'l sucker pulls REAL STRONG. Forced induction is a many-splendored thing.

bw

Reply to
bdubya

">