Is there a non-California Mini? What do they cost?

I am a prospective California buyer that has been waiting for the Mini supply to catch up with demand. So far no luck, and if it is true what the dealers say -- that BMW intentionally keeps supply tight - I think we may run out of fossil fuels first. I am considering buying one from a nearby state (if it helps avoid paying $3k over MSRP), but am concerned about what it may take to license it in California because the DMV has significant restrictions on bringing in new cars that don't meet California standards.

1) Does anyone know if there if the 49 state Mini is any different from the California Mini?

2) Do dealers in Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, and Utah (all 4 of them) get the same over MSRP that California dealers get?

Thanks in advance,

parkerea

Reply to
parkerea

"parkerea" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

1) All U.S. MINI's are California-ready. Doesn't matter which state you buy it in. 2) AFAIK, you can get better deals in any of those states. Hell, even if you have no luck in those states you'd be better off flying anywhere in the country where you can get it at MSRP and driving it back. Make a vacation of it while you get acquainted with the new ride and break it in at the same time.
Reply to
Rilian

I can confirm what this gentleman is saying: All US Mini's are 50-state legal and can be registered without difficulty in California. You will have to pay the CA fees/taxes when you register. Although CA will give you credit for sales tax paid in another state, many states will not charge any sales tax to an out-of-state resident which makes it simpler. I got mine in Texas and paid about $100 for a temp tag, but no other fees.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen