Mini Cooper S Headlight Adjustment

I would have thought that the main and dipped beams were fixed relative to each other so adjusting the dipped without adjusting the main could be a bit tricky.

Reply to
adder1969

Well it's probably easier for you living with your eyes shut?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

What makes you think I posted those messages, my user name & e-mail address have been used several times and I didn't post a thing!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

"Fitzy." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

systems.

heh

Reply to
Tunku

I know it wasnt the real Taffy...

Ross

You havent a clue how HID's work then!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

RTFM yourself my friend, and this is the new mini group Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy.

The cheap fix is to dump a load of old bricks in the boot, I guess not having a spare wheel will mean you can get more in, thus the back end goes down & the headlights re align them selves, should give you rear wheels more grip too,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Perhaps the New New MINI will get that as a standard feature?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:44:40 +0100, "Ross" wrote:

I would think that the "tamper proof" aspect is in place because if people started to adjust those headlights up any higher than they're supposed to be, accidents would result from all the blinded drivers. I'm waiting to see this happen anyway, since those "blue" headlights are too bright and should be banned. Once lawsuits start to fly, you'll see those headlights disappear. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of those "blue" headlights, and there is no benefit from having them. The reason I say that is that, by law, the center focus of a headlight has to hit the road, a given number of feet in front of the vehicle.(I'm forgot what that distance is, but let's just say it's 40 feet.) As long as the center focus or brightest part of the beam has to hit 40 feet in front of the car, you will never see any better, no matter how bright you make the light. The only thing you will accomplish is to blind opposing drivers, because if your car hits a bump, crests a hill, or you don't lower your high beams, your headlights will momentarily blind opposing drivers, or the driver in front of you. We've all experienced this.....if you've ever been in front of, or on the opposite side of the road of a car with these blue headlights, you would have had intermittant blinding flashes from those headlights. That happens because the vehicle is bouncing up and down with the bumps in the road, or because the vehicle is cresting a hill. Either of these things cause the blue headlight to momentarily rise above the center focus point of 40 feet. The best headlight system there ever was is the four tungsten filament headlights of older cars. With those systems, the two outer lights were your driving lights, and turning on your high beams turned on the two inner headlights, as well as turning on a brighter, second filament in the driving light. With 4 high beamed lights lighting the road, you could see practically everything. Plus those bulbs were only 2 bucks. How much does it cost for one of the "blue" bulbs? What happens when those leveling motors stop working, as all electrical devices eventually do in cars? Do you think that some guy driving a 20 year old, dented door, bumper loose, cracked windshield, oil burning Cooper, is going to be worried that his headlights are blinding people? The number one mechanical problem with cars is a misaligned headlight, and I have never seen a cop stop someone for it. Anyway, the rant stops here. Oh, the correct, and most effective way to stop trolls is to ignore them, no matter how badly you want to reply to their trolling, don't. If they don't have an audience, they will stop posting.(it might take a while, but it does work.)

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob

hello jabcob,

i nearly totally agree with you post, just had to make two points;

When the levelers stop working, the headlights dont come up, ie you turn the lights on and the level rises. so its the other way - you wont be dazzling people, you just wont be able to see much.

May be true, but on BMW minis perhaps not due to the self levelers

RS

Reply to
RS

Hi there RS. I didn't know that about the headlights. So the headlights turn downward when you turn them off? I wonder what happens if the motors stop working when the headlights are already turned on? I guess what bothers me about these systems is that they rely on motors. A problem with the motors means a problem with the headlights.....too many components just to get some light. I was in a VW dealer last year, and I asked the manager there what it would cost to replace the "blue" headlight in the Toureg. He tried to sidestep the question by saying that they rarely burn out, so I said that most headlights don't burn out, but instead, are broken by rocks flying up off the road, so how much would it cost to replace the headlight if a rock flew up and broke it. I had an idea of what his answer would be, so I wasn't surprised when he said it would cost about $3,000. I'd be interested to know what it would cost for the Mini.

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob

Hi Jacob,

Yep.

I wonder what

your guess is as good as mine.

true

we had one headlight replaced under warranty, due to motor failure, they cost just under 200GBP each new, we found out when we saw the insurance parts bill when my sister shunted her boyfriends peugoet...

Reply to
RS

replying to Ross, joe wrote: open hood...in back of the headlight assy. are 2 ajustment screws....the inside screw will do the up and down...ajust the screw out will bring the headhights up

Reply to
joe