mini-ordering madness!!!

Mysteriously, after having successfully checked up (hilariously often) on my mini-on-order online, suddenly, my order no longer reflected the right color. I checked with my dealer, and my production number was changed (and, therefore, now belonged to someone else's mini). I re-registered with the new number and am once again able to check on my ordered car. So all seems back to normal

BUT, as a measure of my desperation to receive a vehicle that is still possibly two months away, I had to wonder why the change in my order number? Especially over 3 weeks past my original order date. My salesperson said her sale's manager did it for mysterious logistical reasons that she doesn't understand but knows are necessary. This sounded just off-key enough that my greedy/paranoid self is wondering if this manager is playing with people's numbers to give certain folks precedence in the grand order scheme of mini-dom. Is it possible some likewise greedy but also moneyed sooner-to-be-motoring schemer was able to steal my production number away from me?

Okay, okay. So it's a paranoid fantasy. And, it's only been a month, and this is where I'm at! Imagine what I'll be like by mid-March!

Poor alt.mini folks. I'm eyeing your minis with fiendish jealousy!

Lisa (who'll be driving a 2004 mini cooper in what seems like 10 years, but will probably be only two months)

Reply to
poo

I had my order changed in the opposite direction. I guess that my dealer had ordered a car (not for anyone in particular...) and then replaced it with mine...so imagine my surprise when I looked online the first time and the specs were entirely wrong! *gasp* The standard MINI obsession had me calling my MA IMMEDIATELY to find out what was wrong. No problems...shifting around production numbers is apparently standard business.

I'm sure it wasn't some kind of moneyed trickery (though, in your place, I would have doubtlessly been thinking the same thing)...just some strange 'logistics,' as was suggested.

Don't worry, soon you'll be pulling out of the dealership in your baby grinning the grin only a MINI owner can grin. :-D

-Erik

Reply to
Erik "BRG/W MCS" Peterson

The same thing happened to me. My color and specs changed. But lo-and-behold the proper Mini was delivered. Whew! 04 yellow and black "S". Just turned 1400 miles.....past the break in period and really starting to have fun.

JimBob

Okay, okay. So it's a paranoid fantasy. And, it's only been a month, and this is where I'm at! Imagine what I'll be like by mid-March!

Poor alt.mini folks. I'm eyeing your minis with fiendish jealousy!

Lisa (who'll be driving a 2004 mini cooper in what seems like 10 years, but will probably be only two months)

Reply to
GunnyMaz

You're a great MINI ambassador, Erik. Thanks for the sympathetic noises in my direction. :-)

(Now we just have to hope that the gas tank on our 1989 Mazda 323 can hold out two more months. After 130,000 miles, we developed an irreparable leak up at the top of the tank. We're filling it halfway, but I'm thinking we might need some duct tape, if we're going to make it to April!)

Lisa

p.s. Did you all "name" your MINIs? My husband's family always names their cars, and now he says I have to work on one for our new baby. Our ole Mazda's name is "Owen" after the Irving character/book....

Reply to
poo

Okay, now my green-eyed monster is out of the closet! Jealous, jealous.... But tell us, JB, what are your 5 favorite things about your new MINI (pretty please). Some of us are just that desperate. ;-)

Lisa

Reply to
poo

Since duct tape will fix ANYTHING (as has been experimentally proven by NASA, I think...) I would expect it to do the job beautifully.

Erik

PS - I didn't name Bertram...he named himself :-D

Reply to
Erik Peterson

I'm not JB, but I'll give you mine in no particular order. 1. I love to turn corners. 2. It's quick and easy to wash, especially for a short person. 3. It's so damn cute. 4. It's not a blender, meaning that it doesn't blend in with all the other cars out there. 5. Driving has become fun for me. The bad things? 1. You have to take extra time because people will ask you questions. 2. You can't pick your nose while driving because everyone looks at the car. 3. People ask how much I spent on it and it really is none of their business. 4. I saw three more in town this week (bittersweet) 5. It's so fun to drive that I will use almost any excuse to get out of house chores to run errands.

kat

Reply to
hep kat

re: bad things

  1. Totally agree...everywhere I go; every new person that I meet wants the lowdown. My defense: people who have never looked under the hood of the car may find themselves learning about superchargers.
  2. I'm going to get burned by this one eventually...I know it.
  3. yeah...why is that one of the first questions?? I'd be asking "can I drive?" :-D
  4. lol...I LOVE seeing others! There's nothing more fun than pulling up next to another one and waving and smiling...too cool.
  5. yeah, even driving to work at 5 in the morning in the pouring rain was fun this morning!

-Erik

Reply to
Erik Peterson

Well, I named mine. She is called Milli because she is a Chilli Red MINI !

Reply to
Ramases

You make-a-me smile! I tend to sing and groove a bit in the car--hadn't even thought about the fact that people will be observing my antics. Now, I'm sure they were enjoyable even in the Mazda 323, but I'm guessing most people were missing out on the pleasure ;-) Now, I'm gonna be on stage!

Yikes.

Lisa (waved at a MINI driver two days ago, who amazingly didn't know I was about to become one myself--they smiled, but it was a tolerant smile, not a 'ssup smile, if you know what I mean....)

Reply to
poo