Mini Questions

I am thinking about buying a 2005 mini cooper s

Should I wait for the next generation which is coming soon?

one article I read, cant remember where, said in effect the new generation will be more cheaply built. and not as much fun to drive.

another article i read said the current series engines are rough running (crude) etc... and the new engines will be much better.

anyone help me out with some facts/opinions?

thank you

Reply to
john339077353

Get it now... !

If you leave it for the Next generation, when you're about to put your order in, you'll be seeing/hearing the same comments... "I've heard the "07" cars are better etc..."

btw, check out

- that's where 10's of thousands of MINI owners hang out.. LOTS of useful information there.

Reply to
Paul

thank you

Reply to
john339077353

Paul wrote

Now. I have a 2003, not an S, and I am still in love. The engine is broken is just like I like it, and the driving is beyond fun. I think the new ones are nice enough, but it's starting to look a bit odd with the convertibles out there. I love my coop. The 2005's are nice and I would grab one if I was you. You won't be sorry. I've noticed that people wait and wait and wait for the perfect time and they are missing the time of their life in the process of deciding. buy one. Drive one. You won't stop smiling. While I was waiting for it, I lived on Paul's site. It is the best one out there and I found so much information and tips it was amazing. I was jonesing for my car something terrible and mini2.com was a life saver.

kat

Reply to
hep kat

The best descriptions and photos so far are at

Sounds like pure speculation to me, especially something that is very hard to pin down like "cheaply built". The current car has some very cheapish materials, especially in the interior.

The engine has not been tested by anyone so far, so again, pure speculation. It will be turbo, rather than a supercharged powerplant, so if you like (or dislike) turbos, then this might be a factor. It will be more fuel efficient - most of the changes seem aimed at higher fuel efficiency - the current engine is not great in this regard. If you're looking for a 30 mpg car in mixed driving, the MCS is below the bar right now.

Typically, the next generation of any car is a little bigger, a little heavier, a little more broadly focused, a little improved in most regards, but often loses some of the edginess of the original. That can be good or bad.

My advice is that if you trade cars every couple years, then just get one now and you'll have the option to trade for the new one if you like it. If you keep a car awhile, then you have a tougher decision, but if the current car suits your needs and you need a new car, why not?

Another thing to consider: I would strongly advise AGAINST buying the first year of a major BMW re-design, especially one with a new engine. So if you're prudent, you're not looking at getting a 2007 in the fall of 2006, but instead the debugged 2008 in the fall of 2007. That's over two years from now.

- Mark

Reply to
markjenn

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:13:58 -0800, hep kat wrote:

I've owned my "S" since they first came out. I've always wanted a MINI since I first saw one many years ago, but they weren't bringing them to the US then. I knew they were coming out with the new Mini, but I forgot about it.(the downside of not renewing my car magazine subscription). A friend at work was reading his car magazine and commented that the new supercharged Minis were out. I looked at the article, and when I left work that night, I stopped into the local dealer....Mini of Towson (they still have a selection of about 50 Minis on their lot...if you want to pay extra for one). Seeing their extra $3.000 markup, I walked away. The next night at work, the friend suggested I try a dealer in the south, since they are usually more honest than what we have up here in the north. Surfing the Net, I looked for the first dealer that had an 800 toll free number. I found Crown Mini of Richmond, Va. I called them up, and asked if they were ripping people off for what is called, "Additional Market Value", meaning they charge over the sticker price. The salesman laughed and said, no, they didn't do that. I talked to him for a good while, getting info on what was available, and it turned out that the exact car I wanted had been ordered for another customer, but it was ordered without the options he wanted, but it was exactly what I wanted. They tried to cancel the order and resubmit it with the correct options, but the order was already in the system and couldn't be stopped. They were just about to take his name off the order and reorder him the car with the correct options. The salesman was talking to me and the salesmanager at the same time, and the salesmanager told him to ask me if I wanted my name to be placed on the misordered car. I said yes, definitely, so I sent him a deposit, and 3½ weeks later, I had my new car. I had to take a train to get to the dealership, since it was several states away, but I had a blast driving it all the way home. Keep in mind, I'm a large guy....6'-2", at 275 lbs. I've never been in a Mini, and didn't even know if I would fit, but I still didn't hesitate to buy one. I knew that if I didn't buy one then, I'd have to wait 3-4 months to get one, IF I got one, since they were selling like crazy. Something that I never thought about, but had a lot of fun with, is that at that time, Minis were rarely seen, especially here in the small city that I live in. Once I had my Mini, I took it all over town......even doing my obligatory passby in the front of the local Wal-Mart, each time I went there, or anyplace that had a lot of people coming out and going in. The finger pointing, smiles, and stares that I got from the pedestrians, never ceased to amuse me....or embarrass my daughter.("Dad! Everybody is looking at us! It's EMBARRASSING!") I was constantly stopped and asked about the car....and still am, as you will be. Sorry about the longwinded story, but I guess what I was getting at is that don't wait to get a Mini. I jumped at the first chance I had to get one, sight unseen, and have never regretted it. The fun you'll have driving it now is something that you'll never get back if you wait.

Miniman

Reply to
Miniman