Navigation - GPS

Hi All,

Been trying to figure out if the Navigational Computer GPS option is worth the cash...

Any input?

- Thanx

- Jon

Reply to
Jon Bauer

Michael R. Sullivan

or even better, get a Windows Mobile PDA, get a GPS Receiver and the TomTom software?

Reply to
s n u f f y

I have a Palm m515 with the GPS companion. I like it, but I don't think they make the GPS attachment anymore. But Garmin has just come out with a Palm OS PDA with a built in GPS. Looks pretty slick. Haven't seen any reviews on it yet though.

-=- Tom

Reply to
Tom D

We have the GPS on ours and, although it is very pricey, it does work very well. I have not found a road it didn't know about. There are 7 discs needed to cover various regions in the US and they are about $125 each. Also, I am not sure what the policy is on updates, but seems you would need to do that from time to time. It is kind of cool to have the English lady tell you, "Right turn ahead."

If I miss a turn it will tell you to turn around, but if I go a little farther, it will immediately re plot a new route and start directing on that one (it does this real fast) and change the map to show it.

JC

Reply to
Jim Collins

I have GPS on all my cars and I wouldn't dream of buying a car without it. GPS is one of those things that, once you get, you wonder how you ever lived without it.

All the arguments against GPS sound like all the arguments against air conditioning when that first came out....too pricey...why don't you just roll down your windows....too complicated...etc..etc.

Reply to
Michael Greenberg

I think you can get the whole set of CD's for all regions for like $200. Though I'm up for trading with anyone who wants to.. :) I'm in region 6. Any takers? :)

JC, does GPS your have an english woman's voice? I have this woman, who sounds like she's from the south if anything :)

I personally think GPS is worth it.

Benefits of the Aftermarket models:

  • Portability (use it in different cars) * Cost effectiveness (I think) * Don't mind have to setup the GPS system, * Don't care about having it integrated into your car stereo (music is turned low, when an voice prompt is given etc)

Benefits of Integrated system * Built in convenicence (no setup time, this is key in the Mini, as there is a lack of space to begin with) * Integrated into stereo * Overall coolness :)

best of luck.

-Ram

Reply to
Ram

I think a hand held unit for about $100 is a better buy. You can take it with you from one car to the next, and you can take it on vacation when you ride in a plane to some far off destination, and use it in the rental car.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland