Oil change in-between scheduled service

I have a 2003 MC. I had the first service interval done at 9600 miles, last September. I now have over 17,000. The computer indicates that I'm not due for another service for another 8000 miles. That would mean my car will have gone over 15000 miles between oil changes. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether I should do an oil and filter change now? I'm probably not going to put 8000 miles on the car for for another 8 months at least.

Thanks!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Supposedly with the new oils and the improved efficiency of oil filters the amount of mileage between oil changes has increased.

However, we are talking about a small engine here and I personally will not go more than 5k between changes. It is a small price to pay for what I believe has a high positive potential.

Reply to
Grinder

Well said. New oils or not, 15K is just way too long, IMHO, especially with a lot of calendar time. I'm doing 5K.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

"Grinder" wrote in news:RVoqc.149$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Ditto that. Every 5K miles. If we're wrong, no harm done except a few doillars out the window. But if they're wrong, the consequences might be much worse...

Reply to
Rilian

There is no need to change the oil between the recommended interval, and even they err on the side of caution.

You'll risk more engine damage through a faulty oil filter or aftermarket part or if an error occures during the work and a leak forms.

Only in America is the oil changed so frequently.

Michael.

Reply to
Michael Thwaite

Total speculation - you don't have any data on the incidence of faulty oil filters or work errors, nor do you have any data on how an engine might last longer with more frequent oil changes. I agree it is a tradeoff, but none of us have any data. Personally, I err on the side of more-often oil changes because I've torn down engines with more frequent oil changes and they simply look better inside. Oil is cheap, replacing engines isn't. Whether it is really cost effective? I don't know and neither do you.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen