Prospective Owner Seeking Lead Time

Greetings all!

I've read the reviews, the websites, the (*grin*) newsgroups; my co-workers have encouraged me; my mind is set. Within the week I expect to be making The Order for my own MCS. Two questions before I do:

#1 - Can anybody out there give a general estimate of delivery time on a MCS to Southern California, USA? (I'll not be asking my dealer, if I can help it...can't look TOO eager...)

#2 - Is the lead time as impossible to bear as I expect that it will be? :)

Eagerly, Erik Studio City, CA, USA

Reply to
Erik Peterson

That's not possible. Once you make it, there's no turning it off. It's just like the grin that becomes permanently attached to your face when you see your MINI for the first time.

Yes. Just do yourself a favor and try not to track it through the website every day. Don't find the ship number. Don't follow that ship around the oceans. Don't count the days at the distribution center. Don't wonder where it is right at that moment you're thinking about it. Yeah, right.

Welcome to the obsession. Pull up a chair, have a drink, and happy waiting. It's worth every long drawn-out second.

kat

Reply to
hep kat

Oh great...I've never been able to avoid a tracking number... ;)

I just got off the phone with the Long Beach, California dealer and he is saying no markup (which is exciting) but upwards of 10 months before I can motor my way off of the lot. It made me want to pull a Conan-esque "Whaaaaa?" right then and there on the phone. Is this just something that I'll have to live with??

Please, someone, put my mind to rest and tell me it ain' so! (or, as an alternative, tell me to quit my whining and take it like everyone else who has ordered their MINIs and waited the ~10 months).

Queasily (but still going in to make my order on Saturday, dammit), Erik

Reply to
Erik Peterson

Suck it up and be a man! ;) Seriously, they said mine would take about four months and it only took three. It was worth it because I got exactly what I wanted at cost and it's a MINI!

kat

Reply to
hep kat

I got my custom-ordered MCS in May, 10 weeks after ordering it... but I'm in Connecticut and I understand that we get them here a lot faster than you get them there.

So an alternative might be to order from an East Coast dealer and either pick it up or pay for the extra shipping to you. I don't know if it's a feisable alternative or how much extra red tape and dollars it would be but otherwise I guess yes, you'll just have to suck it up. :(

10 weeks felt like an eternity.... I can't even imagine 10 months. On the other hand, I also can't imagine being without my MCS and would wait twice that if there was no other way.

Best of luck, Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam

"Erik Peterson" wrote in news:%c0mb.3534$W%. snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

If I lived out there, here's what I'd do. Order it at MSRP from somewhere in the country you wouldn't mind visiting. When it comes, take your vacation days, fly there, see the sights, and drive it home. You will have bonded with it well before the first time you park it in your garage. 8^)

Reply to
Rilian

Yeah but what about home state registration hassles?

-- Team EuroMeko

------------------------------

iBuyMinis.Us

"iBuyMinis.Us" wrote in news:0P3mb.38560 $ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Depends on your state and the state you buy it from. Some dealers will put temp plates on it from their state, others will make you bring your own temp plate with you from your home state. Beyond that, you register it normally when you get it home.

I live in NH and bought mine in MA. They made me bring my own NH temp plate in order to drive it off the lot.

Reply to
Rilian

Mountain View $2500 mark-up and 90 days.

Reply to
Grinder

Erik,

I noticed your in S. CA - If you don't mind me asking, did the dealer charge an uplift for the "S" model? Last time I checked (month or so ago), most dealers in CA were charging $2500 - $5000 OVER list price on the S, & if the few that weren't were quoting 8 - 12 month lead times - just curious if that's still happening or if supply has caught up.

I'm in the market for an MC"S" - will need to order in the Jan. time-frame, but I may go with a non-S model if they're still charging an uplift ...

TIA for any info you can provide - especially the dealer name if they're not charging the uplift!

Barry

Reply to
Barry K

Barry,

I'd be happy to share my (mixed) experience with SoCal dealerships! So far I have only found one Los Angeles area dealer who is willing to sell at MSRP, and that is Long Beach MINI...in fact, Long Beach MINI is exactly what I want out of a car-buying experience: low-key, courteous salespeople, a nice selection to look at, no pressure, etc. (I promise that I'm not a LB salesperson in disguise...they're really that good!) Only problem is that the wait for an S is something on the order of 10-12 months, all said and done. Yikes, I thought!

The alternative is a shorter wait with a markup of $3000 or more!

Now there are non-Los Angeles-area dealers with whom I haven't much talked. I know that East Bay MINI also sells at MSRP, but has a 10-12 month wait for an S, as well.

If you want to go ahead and get a custom MINI Cooper, instead of an S, you'll be waiting about 4-6 months from these two MSRP dealers.

Of course, these are my own experiences...I'm not much of a haggler (read: I haven't tried haggling at all) and results may vary.

Hope that helps!

-Erik

time-frame,

Reply to