Question for Mini Owners

I just test drove a mini ('04 non-S model) and although I like the style, etc. I was very disappointed in the power and acceleration. I'm currently driving a BMW 328i and have owned Porsches in the past, so that is what I'm comparing it to. So my question is, how much different are the Cooper-S or the Works models? Is the engine significantly better, etc? On a scale of 1-10, how much difference is the S model over the standard mini?

Thanks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Ellison

Hi Bill,

Check out Mini2.Com

I used to have a Cooper, and now have a Cooper S.

I'll chop the S in for a JCW S at the end of this year.

Cooper + German Autobahn = 120MPH

Cooper S + German Autobahn = 138MPH

Cooper S JCW + German Autobahn = TBC !

Reply to
someone.not

Hi,

We also owned a cooper before buying and S. I think you'll find there's a significant difference in performance and to the "feel" of the car generally (+ the supercharger makes a nice, but un-intrusive, whirr when you wind on the power). Haven't tried a JCW - mainly 'cos I know we'd want one, but simply can't afford it !!.

Rats

Reply to
Rats

I'd call it about an 8. Having driven a base model for a day after getting used to my S, the difference is startling; just about where the base model is running out of breath, the S is really starting to pull STRONGLY. I can only recommend that you test drive the S yourself. Can't speak for the JCW package, but between the blower and the 6-speed, the S is completely in a different league.

bw

Reply to
bdubya

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I need to go drive an S.

Reply to
Bill Ellison

Hi all,

I own a 2002 MCS. It's the most fun-to-drive car I've ever had! I read an article in "BIMMER" magazine (I think that's where it was) that compared the standard MCS to the JCW package. The article said that the JCW package almost doubled the price of the base (non-S) Cooper, but the performance was only marginally better than the MCS.

I can only go by what I read, having never driven the JCW for myself.

Charlie

Reply to
dauph59