Run-flats now disposable?

My dealer tells me that per instructions from Dunlop, run-flat tires with a tread puncture can no longer be repaired. (Unless, maybe, if the puncture is within about a half-inch of the tread centerline, maybe, but maybe not). Which means, near as I can tell, that if you get a flat, you can drive 50 miles on the tire (at

Reply to
bdubya

Opinion seems to run the gamut, and quite frankly, many dealers are not familiar with run-flats. We got a flat on our MCS, and had to go to three places before we found one who even had the "special equipment" needed to demount and mount them. When we *did* find a dealer who worked on run-flats regularly, they had no problem repairing it.

I guess the best answer is to keep looking until you find a dealer who has some experience with run-flats, and stay with that dealer in the future.

T/

Reply to
Tim H

"bdubya" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hi, we had the same problem. First the dealer told my wife that its not possibble to repair a puncture in the middle of the center, but after a little discussion they repaired it and it worked. In Austria we drive 130 km/h (75 MPH) and sometimes more ;-), and there were no problems with the tires. I think this type of tires is stonger bulit, so there should be no problem by repairing them.

greetings

Christian

Reply to
c.eder

Thanks. The wrap-up here is kind of cool, actually. I told the dealer to just leave the staple in place, air it up, and I'd deal with it. So, I jack up the car and start looking for the staple, but can't find it. I do find a small cut in the tread, in line with a couple of yellow chalk marks on the sidewalls, but no staple. And the tire no longer loses pressure. So it looks like the dealer, for liability reasons, had to "refuse" to patch the tire, but then the run-flat fairy visited me in the night and made the tire magically heal itself.

My Mini dealer rocks, but out of respect for their legal position, I can't say who it is.

bw

Reply to
bdubya

I think the advice is to do with the sidewall damage caused by running or sitting on the tyre when it's flat, in the event of a 2nd puncture some of the rigidity will have already been lost, that said we have had no problems getting them repaired.

Reply to
Depresion