Tire pressure light

'05 MCS

My tire pressure light comes on about 1/2 the times that I drive the car (no audible tone as advertised in the manual, just a steady light), sometimes after I've moved maybe a foot.

I've checked the pressures and they're fine, tried to reset the system etc. (usually when I try this the light just stays on until I shut off the car).

I know I'll need the inevitable inconvenient trip to the dealer, but is this a common problem?

Reply to
El Gordo

That's a new one to me, but I'm a newbie myself! :) Let us know how it's resolved!

Charlie

Reply to
dauph59

I've had this happen a couple of times and it wasn't a tire pressure issue. The first time it happened, I had just come back from picking up my husband at a auto shop where he dropped off the van. The only way to reach the auto shop was on a very bumpy dirt road. The second time it happened, I was directed onto the shoulder of the road, due to road construction. Again it was a bumpy and on the dirt. I'm not sure if dirt or debris was affecting the sensors, or if it was something else altogether. But that is the only commonality I can come up with for those two times.

Reply to
Imapearl

The light has come on a few times on my '05 Cooper. The two ways I have had it come on are :

  1. Pressing the button with the heel of my hand, while resting my hand on the edge of the navigator seat.
  2. Having an object fly (fall) off of the navigator seat and press the button.

Having driven over many miles gravel/dirt roads it has not come on for that reason ..... yet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I've had mine come on twice in 22 months. Each time I blew it off as a faulty light and each time I almost screwed up because I had a low tire. A real low time.

From now on I'll check my tire pressure when the light comes on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Hippie

hmmm now that sounds a good idea. "when a warrning light comes on i will check it...."

sounds the wrong way round. Tire (OR TYRE) pressures should be checked REGULARLY, say every two weeks. same with oil, water, power steering fluids, screen wash. bascially check all the levels - dont just wait for a light to tell you to do it.

Reply to
RS

Apparently its a fault related to the ABS system, so I am told, its also a very common fault, ask dealer to re-set the system or disable it until they com up with a permanent fix Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy