1987 non opening rear windows

Any tips on removing the side windows of the non opening type ? At the moment I have the idea of washing up liquid and a small screwdriver but thought I'd ask here incase anyone has any better ideas. I take it to get them back in is the piece of string around the seal and wrench hard ala windscreen fitting.

Any advice, hints, tips more than welcome

Thanks all as ever Jim

Reply to
Jim

The most important thing is DONT LEVEL THE GLASS WITH A SCREW DRIVER! its by far the easiest way to break it.

I think from memory the easiest way to get them out is to level to rubber over the flang from inside the car, basically pushing the window and rubber out in one go.

I cant remeber what the fixed window rubbers look like, but a haynes manual is your best bet.

Just dont lever the glass I broke my windscreen levering at it trying to get it out, best bet with a windscreen is to take the strip out of the rubber and push it out with your feet!

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Does it have a key? If so remove that first then push the glass out slowly through the rubber. The rubber stays in the body.

If it doesn't have a key them, whilst pushing from the inside, help roll the rubber over the metal opening.( the glass stays with the rubber) You can still use this method if you leave the key in)

Reply to
Rob

Nope, the side windows have no finisher strip just one single piece of continuous rubber. Me thinks this is going to be fun !

Reply to
Jim

They are a lot easier top fit back in using new rubbers as they go hard with age. So just cut them out with a stanley knife.

Reply to
TurboJo

Note to self (and anyone else that maybe interested) ... Screwdriver ease lip over and push, same as the windscreen Thanks for all the ideas Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim wrote in news:GQSWe.5812$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

Using a firm rope to remove the glass from its position helps I think. In my case it heplped when I needed to remove the windshield. Make enough room to press the rope through, and use the rope to fold the rubber under the glass and press the glass out in that spot. Advice.... don't do it alone!

Good luck!

Dutch Mini Kensington owner

Reply to
Nick Name