2005 Mini Cooper Convertible Top won't close

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible. Top was down. When the top was raised, it stopped after pushing the roof frame forward to the windshield frame. Then it stopped, and the red light started flashing rapidly. That was repeated again a day later.

This morning, I went to the garage to see if the top could be latched and sunroof closed manually. I found the screw and turned it according to the Mini Owners manual. I could not however, figure out how to remove the cover from the center of the cross-bar so the manual crank could be used. Three of us worked for almost two hours to decipher the poorly written instructions in the manual and correlate those to the actual product and could not figure it out.

Has anybody out there got a suggestion for closing the top for the trip to the dealer as rain showers in middle America are always a possibility?

TIA for any advice or assistance.

Reply to
Tom

Its a year old, tell them to come & get it,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Firstly there should be some kind of crank handle, or release mechanism from the power system,, for this kind of failure, VW have one, so I assume BMW should have the same ?? secondly I agree with Steve 68s "Tell the dealer to come get it" call BMW N.A. tell them about your problem, see what they suggest, Hope this helps, ;-) and finally,,,,,,,, your in the wrong NG, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Some BMW mechanic you are fitzy.

Reply to
madmax

Fitzy, That's only cos no one replied in the proper group. Does that sum up BINI owners! or should we not generalise. i.e. you are an exception to that rule.

Reply to
Martin

Just proves there's no real following for the BINI then really?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I have seen in the past that this group offers advice to anyone thats asking, providing there is the knowledge to help that is. Think that many Mini owners have a sound basis to help solve problems with most cars....

Reply to
Barspeed and his magical Mini'

NO....it just proves that he came to the right newsgroup. Again you are wrong...there is a bigger following for the BMW mini than there ever was for the old mini. Just stating fact.

Reply to
Madmax

Taffy, I have had old Mini's since 1969 when I was in high school. I own 8 of them now including a 61 Van, 60 Morris woody wagon, 64 Austin Cooper S, 65 Austin 850 deluxe, 69 morris, 70 Pickup, 71 shelled SCCA Racer, 79 1100 Special. I also own a 2003 Mini Cooper S and a 2006 Mini Cooper S SCCA race car. If you want to see a following of mini people I suggest you log on to

and see how many people are on line at that time. I was just on and there were 865 people on at that time. I love minis, all kinds ( including mini skirted girls), but the new Mini's are great cars, the old Mini's are great cars. I don't post much here, but read daily. The bickering that some of the "old mini" people start in this newsgroup is unbelievable. Why don't we all behave like adults? Dave

Reply to
Dave Theen

Dave, You are a good man! Enjoy all of you auto's.

Reply to
madmax

Well many haven't accepted the BMW BINI/MINI in the UK mainly because of BMW's attitude really and that's why this newsgroup, like many Mini Forums/Clubs here only cater for the real thing 1959-2000.

And most of the bickering is coming from your part of the world too Dave, but we're big enough to ignore it much like we ignore BMW and it's smallish hatchback.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Look who's got the attitude problem. LOLAT

Reply to
Madmax

Hello Dave, Fine collection of mini there my friend, obviously started collecting long before BMW launched the MINI, I support your choice of vehicles, especially the classics, but you must agree the two vehicles are completely different, the only thing they share are the badges, I do believe there should be two separate news groups, after all , would you come in to this group with a BMW MINI question, I don't think so, but most people in this group are what I would call DIY experts when it comes to classic minis, and they could advise you on how to take it apart and rebuild it, and throw in a few tips on how to make it better, it doesn't matter how many times I hear someone say "they are all minis" I will still shake my head and say "No" sorry they are totally and completely different vehicles, certain people including myself feel that we are defending the group, afterall , its been here many years before BMW bought the rights to MINI, and Cooper, Like I said earlier, I support your choices of vehicles, and this includes the BMW MINI you own, as its your personal choice, but it belongs in alt.autos.newmini,

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Well they DO share the same badges, so I guess they should share the same newsgroup after all.

Fritzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Nicely put Fitzy and of course on this newsgroup we generally support the Issigonis variety of Mini.

But the BMW hatchback is something completely different and therefore has no place here.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Taffy, You are completely different and are still here. If BMW mini's are bini's then issigonis mini's are sisigonini.

Reply to
Fitzy

Who is Fritzy !! LOL Looks like someone with shit for brains is cloning again, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Spot on there Taff, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Hmmm, no signature ? check the properties, LOL shit for brains again,,, KILLFILED Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Lets face it !!! What could a BMW Bini owner/enthusiast possibly gain from visiting this NG.. Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy